7: Dreary Winter

In a blink of an eye Harry found himself bundling up for the cold Scotland winters. The term was relatively the same with no more attacks. Seems the attacker was more busy with the school finals than actually continuing the plan. Winter break was fast approaching which led Harry to making his way to his father's quarters after receiving a note. Singing before the door many times before this semester Harry tried it and this time it opened.

"Ah Harry there you," his dad said as he made his way to the common room of his father's quarters. "I wanted to discuss this with you before the list for those staying here is posted. It has been decided that you will be staying here for the break, Evangeline and I will be heading off."

"Why does she get to go with you?"

"She has lessons with Dumbledore and he said it would be better for you."

"Dad!" Harry shouted in shock, "who are you talking about."

James looked bewildered, "it is not up for discussion," then he handed a small package to Harry, "Happy Christmas make sure to open it on Christmas."

"But dad-"

"No that is enough, you will be staying here and that is final." With that Harry then found himself out of his fathers quarters and in the Hallway.

Huffing Harry angrily stormed to the founders wing of the castle he needed time to cool off.

After the tests were finished Lockhart decided to host a dueling session with Snape's help. It was a good time in the great hall, they each were paired off and worked through the practices and requirements of dueling. Towards the end of class Lockhart stopped them wanting a volunteer pair to come up. Originally it would have been Neville and Justin but Snape intervened calling Harry and Evangeline.

"Excellent idea!" said Lockhart, gesturing Harry and Evangeline into the middle of the hall as the crowd backed away to give them room.

"Now, Harry," said Lockhart. "When Evangeline points his wand at you, you do this." He raised his own wand, attempted a complicated sort of wiggling action, producing a thin shield. .

"Scared?" muttered Evangeline with a knowing smirk so that Lockhart couldn't hear her.

"You wish," said Harry out of the corner of his mouth. Lockhart cuffed Harry merrily on the shoulder.

"Three — two — one — go!" he shouted.

Evangeline raised her wand quickly and bellowed, "Serpensortia!" The end of her wand exploded. Harry watched, aghast, as a long black snake shot out of it, fell heavily onto the floor between them, and raised itself, ready to strike. There were screams as the crowd backed swiftly away, clearing the floor.

"I'll get rid of it..."

"Allow me!" shouted Lockhart. He brandished his wand at the snake and there was a loud bang; the snake, instead of vanishing, flew ten feet into the air and fell back to the floor with a loud smack.

Enraged, hissing furiously, it slithered straight toward Justin Finch-Fletchley and raised itself again, fangs exposed, poised to strike. Harry didn't have to think twice. He wasn't even aware of deciding to do it. All he knew was that his legs were carrying him forward as though he was on casters and that he had shouted, "Leave him alone!" And the snake slumped to the floor, docile as a thick, black garden hose, its eyes now on Harry. He knew the snake wouldn't attack anyone now. He looked up at Justin, knowing what would be happening next. And he was right; the entire room looked not relieved, or puzzled, or even grateful — but angry and scared looks. All towards him.

"What do you think you're playing at?" he shouted, and before Harry could say anything, Justin had turned and stormed out of the hall. Snape stepped forward, waved his wand, and the snake vanished in a small puff of black smoke. Harry stood not releasing looking though Evangeline left the hall with a triumphant look. He then was aware of an ominous muttering all around the walls. Then he felt a tugging on the back of his robes. "Come on," said Draco and Theo's voice in his ear.

"Move...come on..." Draco then steered him out of the hall, Theo hurrying alongside them. As they went through the doors, the people on either side drew away as though they were frightened of catching something. Harry rolled his eyes at their stupidity. He was expecting to let his Parseltongue out but not like this.

That night Harry sat in his bed in their dorm room with Draco and Theo trying to coax Harry out of the bed or to get some rest. It's been two days since the dueling session and no one wanted to be near him, some out of awe but most out of fear of being the 'Heir.' His father won't even look at him now let alone the others being near him to have a conversation. Only Draco and Theo were silently there watching Harry close himself off to Hogwarts. 

*Just Two more days till Halloween! thank you to all those who are following along in our countdown. The plot thickens keep up the guessing! Hope you enjoyed to today tomorrow will be When Blood Comes Calling. Thanks again for the reads, watch out for spooks!*