8: Of Presents and friends

It was finally the end of the semester, Harry continued to close himself off to the world. No one wanted to talk, speak and most often they ran away from him. As another student a Hufflepuff was petrified again, shortly after he was seen 'talking' to Harry. Only Draco and Theo were the ones to keep him going during the day; however, his change was starting to worry some of the older Slytherins.

After 20 jinxes, 10 shoves into the wall Harry made his way alone to his fathers chambers. He got a note earlier that day asking for him to come, that he wanted to talk. Against Draco's wishes he went alone. "Enter!" The voice of James Potter announced after Harry knocked on the door.

The raven-haired boy stepped through seeing Evangeline there as well. "Good you came." James said, standing up from the burgundy chair. "Here is something for you, Happy Christmas. I am taking Evangeline home today. She has a lesson soon." Harry flinched when James reached out his hand with the small box but ultimately took it.

Silently with tears streaming down his face Harry watched as his father and twin disappeared into the fireplace. He knew something was wrong with all of them but that part of Harry was slowly fading away. A part of him just wanted to leave but a small sliver wanted to solve what was happening.

After staring at the now empty for who knows how long Harry left the chambers and went through the empty halls to the Slytherin Common room. Where only Draco was waiting for him as Theo couldn't convince his parents to let him stay.

Days went by and the winter break continued. Draco got Harry out of the common rooms as much as he could but Draco spent more and more time in the library to finish his homework he told him. Otherwise Harry wandered the vacant castle going to the founders rooms to talk to their portraits or down in the Chamber reading Salazar's various journals. This time it was about a trip to Mesopotamia and meeting a magical city fully populated with an abundance of spells.

"There you are," Draco stated when he walked into the Chamber "I have been looking for you all day." The blond teen flopped onto the couch next to Harry.

"What is with you, Draco," Harry said, setting the journal down on the table, "you've been acting weird."

Draco shrugged, "Can't a friend be worried over his best friend?"

Harry rolled his eyes, "have you finished your homework?"

"What are you talking about? I finished a while ago."

"Then what are you doing in the library so much?"

"Library?" Draco asked, standing up pulling Harry up and leading him to the door, "I haven't been in the library for a while." He stopped Harry from asking another question with his finger, "it's dinner time and I know you haven't had lunch or breakfast."

Harry huffed as Draco continued to pull him up the stairs "I'm coming will you stop pulling me."

The two made their way to the Great Hall, which only had a few students sitting at their respective tables. "So," Draco looked at Harry in between bites. "Did you like our gifts?"

Harry nodded, flashing a small smile "Yes thank you for the prank book Draco, Theo's was good as well."

"Good. Theo will be back tomorrow, maybe we could do a prank."

"Maybe. Don't know if everyone will laugh, though. With...you know..."

Draco then puts a hand on Harry's arm and gives a comforting smile. "We'll figure something out."

Later that night Harry and Draco silently read the joke book with Harry laughing for the first time in a while. His present from his father was left unopened in the bottom of his trunk.

*Happy New years! This chapter is short but it was mostly a filler piece. I am working on chapter nine so in three days I hope to get the next one posted. I do want to let you all know two things first is my writing group is working on a book that we are publishing, and the second. Colorado, Boulder specifically had a huge Fire burring about 500 homes. One of my friends lost her home that day and I have been with her mostly, luckily her cat survived.  

Anyways I hope you enjoyed this chapter stay safe and see you next time!*