Chapter 16 - The Wedding Dress

When we returned from Sicily Lorenzo took me to his home. The trip had been overwhelming. I needed space but it was hard to get it, even when he was out of the house or hidden away in his office, this house is his and it doesn't feel like home to me.

Any conversations we had were brief, he was distant from me and I couldn't understand why, was it because of the ball? the money I repaid? it was a constant mind fuck being here.

I mentioned going home to him back to my mother and father for a few days but he refused. After the fall out of the ball in Sicily he thought it would be too dangerous, he was worried that the families may retaliate and take their frustration out on me. I felt so alone.

A few days passed and I have spent more time, well pretty much all my time with Marco.

He always seems to be close even when I am in the house. I get the impression he has been told to keep a close on me but I don't mind, he was Riccardo's man and now is Lorenzo's but he makes me feel safe - there is something reassuring about him.

We often chat in the kitchen over cups of coffee, he must be 40 something, he used to watch over Lorenzo when he was a child.

I have got to know Marco a lot more, he has a wife and a young Son. The way he speaks about them is beautiful. If I am honest I envy his wife, not because I have feelings for Marco but I envy the love he has for her. His eyes light up like a firework when he speaks of her or when I mention her name. It's true love and devotion. The lonelier I feel the more I long for that, hell at this point I would take a 20 minute conversation.

Lorenzo seems so busy, too busy like something is coming, he's preparing himself but for what I don't know. The office door is always closed, men who I don't know come and go from the house. I haven't seen Riccardo recently which is one blessing.

I pour out a fresh cup of coffee for myself and Marco in the kitchen

"Marco, I know Lorenzo won't let me go home but-"

"Emilia please don't ask me do something you know I wont be able to" he said sipping his coffee.

"No I won't, it's just the wedding is slowly creeping closer. We have roughly 2 weeks if that and I haven't got a dress. I haven't chosen flowers, the venue, it has been chosen, this will be my only wedding and I have had no involvement"

"Don Lorenzo has chosen the best planners Emilia-"

"I know he has but I want to choose my dress at least"

I can see the cogs in his brain going, he knows every girl wants to choose their dress, he puts his coffee down on the island.

"Come let's ask, but if he says no.." he smiles at me and we head up to the office, Marco knocks on the door

"WHAT" Lorenzo shouts impatiently

"Don Lorenzo, i-" Marco starts I nudge him and shake my head and point to myself

"I mean Miss Emilia would like to speak with you" I give Marco a smile and nod.

The door opens, he is standing there, his crisp white shirt which fits him perfectly, he has the top 3 buttons undone, his sleeves are rolled up, his hair is down and swept loosely over to one side, his stubbled beard makes him look rough and rugged and his eyes are beautiful, his skin is still glowing from our time in Italy. This feels like the first time in a while that I have actually seen him.

"I want to go and choose my dress for the wedding" I say firmly

"I will get someone in" he retorts as he goes to return to his desk