Chapter 37 - Lorenzo

Her brothers rush through the door first - I try to keep myself composed, even though every part of me wants to kick them all out and be alone with Emilia. 

The words she said replaying in my mind like a loop, she never told me that she felt this way, I always thought that when I told her I loved her and she didn't say it back, that she just didn't love me. I worried that my love for her, how deep, how intense and how fucking dangerous it is was one sided. I now know that she loves me just as much as I love her. That neither of us can bare a life without the other. 

"EMILIA" they all say at the same time, smiling at the sight of her awake. Her face lights up at the sight of them I know she loves them so much.

Throughout the night they had been coming back and forth checking to see if she had woken up. I can see how precious she is to them, she is their only sister naturally they are protective and scared for her.

I watch them closely to make sure they don't get too close and hurt her accidentally. I can't control my protectiveness when people are near to her, she has had enough pain for a lifetime. I wont allow her to feel anymore, even if it is accidental.

"Emilia?" a woman's voice comes from behind her brothers, she has an Italian accent.

The brothers move to the side to allow her to see Emilia, it's her Mother. I see her face. It is a mix of emotion, happiness but also sadness and pain. Tears envelope her eyes at the sight of her daughter in the bed.

"Oh my baby!" she rushes to Emilia's side, her eyes focused solely on her.

"Mumma" Emilia calls out to her as tears slowly fall down her cheeks, I know these are tears of happiness.

I look over and see her father standing by the door, his face too is a mix of emotion, as he looks at her it's relief and joy that his daughter is okay but as his eyes fall on me I see anger, rage and disapproval.

"Luca, Anthony " he addressed two of the brothers. "Please go to the coffee shop next door and get your sister an Iced Coffee" he smiles to Emilia

I see her eyes widen at the thought of her favourite drink, the joy an iced coffee can bring one woman is slightly ridiculous and mad, but that's one of the things that makes me love her even more - the pleasure she can get from the little things in life.

I can sense the brother's don't want to leave but they listen to their father

"We will get the biggest one we can Emilia" Luca tells her

"Thank you boys" she smiles at them with such love, her family means so much to her.

Her brothers leave and close the door behind them chatting as they walk out. Now it is me, Emilia, her mother, her father and her eldest brother in the room. It feels tense so tense you could cut it with a knife.

I see her brother Joseph look out of the window next the door as Sarah walks past the partially open blinds

"Errmm I'm just going to check on something" he says hastily heading out of the room in the same direction as Sarah.

Emilia's mother is slowly stroking her daughter's forehead, starting at her brow sweeping up to the top, over and over. Emilia's eyes close as she does it, smiling. I know this is relaxing her.

"Mumma, Papa" her voice breaks the silence.

"Yes darling" her mother answers for both of them as she lowers her hand from her forehead.

Emilia's eyes open she looks at me and then back to her parents "Tonight I will still be marrying Lorenzo-"

"NO!" her father's voice fills the room, it is so firm it makes the hair on the back of my head stand on its end.