Chapter 33 - Goodbye

I can feel the cold steel of the gun pressing firmly into my temple... FUCK!! I have pushed his father over the edge now. 

I look at Lorenzo, I don't know how he is even alive. When the guards dragged him in he looked like he had been beaten to within an inch of his life. He has blood coming from his lip, he's battered and bruised but he keeps fighting for me. It is killing me to see him like this.

"Subdue him but keep him awake" Riccardo barks to his guards.

A vile smirk crosses their faces one of them pulls his foot back and kicks Lorenzo in the chest, the other punches him in the face.

"ENZO!!" I scream out for him. Make it stop my god make it stop!!

Riccardos voice fills the room

"You tried to take everything from me Lorenzo - you tried to take what was not yours!! You are not worthy, you are weak. Look at you!! You disgust me, I am ashamed to be your father!! You are my greatest mistake -

I can feel the tears fall from my eyes as I gaze at Enzo taking in everything part of his face, knowing his face will be the last thing I see. Even beaten and bleeding there is no one more handsome, I know that I need to tell him I love him before his father pulls the trigger

"I love you Enzo" I whisper to him, not sure if he hears me. I hope with every part of me that he heard me.

"AAAAARRRRRRRHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!" Lorenzo cries out he is tired and I know this is killing him. I see him pulling on the chains they have broken the skin on top of his wrist and blood is pouring down to his hands.

"You do not deserve death-" His father's voice penetrates my ears

Enzo doesn't deserve death... does this mean he wont kill him? I have no option but to assume that's what he means. He has to stop fighting his father won't kill him but he keeps fighting he will die! I have to make him stop fighting he will kill himself if he keeps going

"It's okay Enzo.. it's okay" I urge him, but I have a lump in my throat. My voice is timid. I feel so tired. My eyes are sore from crying, my body aches all over, I feel light headed and I can no longer feel the knife in my leg.

"I love you Enzo."

"The punishment for trying to take what is mine, is that you shall watch as I take from you what you hold most dear, what means more to you than the empire, than the Familia than your pitiful fucking life, you will watch as the light leaves her eyes knowing you could not save her. For you there will be no death for you my Son, there will be no end to the torment of knowing that you couldn't save her. And that I have taken her from you -"

I can no longer hear his father. All my remaining energy is tied to Lorenzo. He can't watch me die! If his own stubbornness doesn't kill him this will. I know his father is cruel enough to let him live without me, it is the ultimate revenge. He can not give his father the satisfaction of watching me die.

"Close your eyes....it's okay, you will be okay...Enzo close your eyes" I beg him.

If my life will save him, I am okay with that. I have experienced more of this world than most people my age. I have known since I was a child death is a part of the Familia. My death was inevitable, in one way or another, no one lives forever. I am lucky to have fallen in love, to have experienced it, even if only for a short amount of time. I am lucky to have loved him so deeply that words will never be able to describe. I feel at peace.

I look over to him I see tears falling down his cheeks

"I love you" he mouths to me

"I love you" I mouth the words back to him

"Close your eyes" I mouth to him. This is my dying wish, my final goodbye, he must not watch me die. I can see he understands and his eyes slowly close.

I hear the click of the gun load and close my eyes.

I am ready.......