Chapter 21 - The Recruits

My mind is racing at a million miles per hour trying to piece everything together. I cant believe he has done all of this and done all of this for us and above all I can't believe how he feels about me - this is fucking insane it is too much to process.

I need more time to digest all of this but I am aware that the new recruits will be coming in in a matter of minutes if not seconds.

"Enzo, I can't deal with this right now, I hear you but I need time to take in everything you said and the recruits will be here any minute"

He draws on his cigarette one last time before stubbing it out on the floor with his shoe, he doesn't respond but he nods as if to acknowledge what I have said. Pain flickers across his eyes for a brief moment then the doors swing open.

"Don Martello, are you ready?" Pauly calls to us

"Bring them through" Lorenzo replies firmly walking towards the doors this time not offering his hand. I follow behind him.

"Team on me" Vinny shouts

The new recruits form a straight line in front of us, I remain a step behind Lorenzo. I can sense his frustration with my response, his fists are clenched as always when he is annoyed but he glances back and nods at me to come and stand by his side.

I need to put this all to the back of my mind for the moment and deal with these recruits, I step forward and join him.

"Recruits this is your Don, Don Lorenzo Martello you are his men and his men alone! You will soon be inducted into the Familia! His word is LAW!" Pauly shouts to them.

"Men" Lorenzo addresses them

"Yes Don" they reply in unison

"You are coming to the end of your training, soon you will be active and on the streets for the Martello Familia. Look to your brothers to the left and right of you, these men are your team, you are all part of MY family. As your Don I promise you this, your loyalty will always be rewarded, each one of you will have the opportunity to rise up the ranks -"

The men cheer in unison pleased with the knowledge they would be able to progress in the family. Lorenzo raises his hand and they all stop immediately.

"- I also promise you this, should any of you fucking decide to betray me or MY Fucking family, if you choose to Fucking steal, to be disloyal or to be a filthy Fucking rat you will die and so will those you hold most dear" he voice was so firm and unwavering the silence that followed was deafening.

I notice his fists are still clenched, I could see the deep breaths in his chests. I know he is struggling to forget our conversation and my lack of response. I find my hand reaching for his clenched fist, it's automatic. I don't realise I am doing it until my hand is wrapped around his fist, his knuckles are sharp.

He doesn't look at me but he slowly un-clenches his fist and holds my hand, it feels wet and warm, I glance down and notice blood on his fingertips where he has dug them so firmly into his palm he didn't even wince.

"Men! This is My Fiance Miss Emilia Tradelli, First Daughter of Don Guiseppi Tradelli and Juliette Tradelli. We will be getting married in two weeks on Saturday, she will be Council to OUR Familia"

The new recruits nod their heads to me as a sign of respect.

Lorenzo looked at me and nodded in the direction of the recruits, did he want me to address them too? This is not what would usually happen, the Don addresses the recruits Council never does! especially seeing as I am not yet married to Lorenzo and officially Council but he nodded again, SHIT!! Time to think on my feet.