Chapter 34 - The Showdown

A loud crashing noise fills the room, it's not a gunshot and I am still alive.

I open my eyes to see one of the guards holding Enzo's chain fall to the floor, blood fills his shirt and turns it red. There is a breeze from behind me, the window must have been smashed by a bullet.

I know we only have a second to act.

Lorenzo whips the dropped chain around the legs of the shocked guard, he yanks firmly and brings him to the floor.

I am seconds from Riccardo's finger pulling the trigger, luckily his guard being shot has made him pause in shock. I rock my chair to the side opposite Riccardo. I slam to the floor, the arm of the chair breaks under my weight, I grab the knife from my leg and slice up across Riccardo's arm from underneath it. In his confusion he fires the gun where my head was and the sound causes him to drop it. I snatch it from the floor and stand up and as quickly as I can a few feet from Riccardo, the adrenaline is firing inside of me, my leg hurts but it's dulled. 

I feel unsteady on my feet and still light headed. I need to hold on, I must hold on. I raise the gun and point it at Riccardo's head. To the side of me I hear of fists pounding wet flesh and Lorenzo cursing in Italian. I don't dare to take my eyes from Riccardo and look at what he is doing. But I need him.

"Enzo" I called him.

The sound stops and is replaced with the sound of chains dragging along the concrete, then his hand firmly on my waist. His breathing is laboured; each breath must feel like a knife in his lungs. Feeling him touch me brings tears to my eyes, I didn't think I would ever be able to feel him touch me again.

In the distance we hear gun fire, it's coming from below us. Finally!! Back up has arrived.

"It's over!" Lorenzo pants to his father staring at him.

I can hear in his voice that his remaining energy is fighting for its life to stay inside of him. Neither of us can fight anymore. As he speaks, I keep the gun pointed at Riccardo and look at Enzo, I look at what he did to his Son, what he allowed his men to do to him and what he did to me! My eyes can't look anywhere else but at Lorenzo.

"This isn't fucking over, I am Don Riccardo Martell-

His fathers sickening voice continues to waffle on in the background. I can take no more my finger squeezes the trigger, planting a bullet between his eyes as I continue to look at Lorenzo as his fathers body hits the floor. 

Lorenzo walks around from beside me not letting go of my waist and stands between me and his father's dead body on the floor. He very carefully places his hands on my face and kisses me.

I feel the tears roll down my cheek, the relief crashing into me like a wrecking ball.

Slowly he pulls away from my face and looks into my eyes

"I love you Lorenzo, I love you more than life itself" I tell him my voice quiet and exhausted.

A smile appears on his face, it makes him wince with pain.

"I love you Emilia"

I take a deep breath in and out, my leg has started throbbing, my head is pounding, my whole body feels bruised, my arms feel heavy, my head feels heavy. My legs buckle from underneath me. Lorenzo tries to hold me up but he has exhausted his last bit of energy has left him; he does his best to take us both to the ground carefully.

We sit there on the floor, facing the door, his father's lifeless body only feet from us, the guard who Enzo was hitting doesn't look human, his whole face has been caved in its nothing but a puddle of blood and flesh. I rest my head against Lorenzo's chest, I can hear his heartbeat getting slower coming back down to its normal rhythm. His bloody arms wrap around me gently but tight enough that I feel safe, he takes the gun from my hand and fires 4 more bullets into his fathers face even though he is already dead but I know he is still so angry, he then rests the gun held in his hand around me against my body.

"I am sorry Emilia" he whispers and kisses the top of my head

I don't have the energy to respond, my eyes feel heavy, I can't keep them open any longer. I close them as we listen to the gun fire that continues to echo throughout the building. We sit there not saying a word, just there in each other arms, in peace. Until finally silence, the gunshots stop.

"LORENZO... EMILIA" I hear Marco's voice

"LORENZO!!" Vinny shouts

"EMILIA" A voice calls out, it sounds like my brother Joseph?

"EMILIA!!!" another voice echos and that sounds like Luca?!

I must be imagining it, my eyes are still closed, maybe I'm dreaming their voices.

A loud bang forces my eyes open I can see Marco, Pauly, Vinny, Joseph, Luca standing in the doorway and finally

"Emilia?" My father's voice calls out as he sees me wrapped in Lorenzo's arms on the floor. He runs to me bending down to look at me.

He tries to place his hand on me affectionately but Lorenzo's hand grabs his wrist, somehow from somewhere he has found the strength his breathing has become heavy and fast

"It's okay Enzo," I say weakly, reaching slowly for his hand that is gripping onto my father. "It's okay"

His eyes dart from me to my father and back to me and he slowly lets go of him.

"We need to get them both to the hospital now!" Marco says firmly

"Yes! Joseph, Luca come get your sister" my father calls to my brothers trying to calm the panic in his voice. My brothers immediately come rushing over to pick me up off the floor but Lorenzo wont let me go

"You need to let her go son" my father tells him calmly. I look up to Lorenzo and there is panic all over his face.

"NO" Lorenzo growls. He's afraid. He is scared if he lets me go he won't see me again.

I can't keep my eyes open anymore, I feel myself slipping out of consciousness.