Chapter 23 - The Wedding Count Down

A week has passed since we went to the Camp. In the past week I have noticed a change in Lorenzo, he is more attentive and affectionate with me. We have barely spent a moment separate from each other, I feel like I know him now like really know him and he knows me . The only time we are apart is when we sleep, he still wont let me in his bed. I don't know why he still refuses me even when he loves me.

We spend every evening and night decompressing from the stress of the day, we stay up snuggling on the sofa binge watching episodes on Netflix and talking,  until I can't keep my eyes open any longer, then I always wake up alone in my own bed. With each night that passes my sexual frustration is growing, I need him with every fibre of my being.

Our days are a completed contrast. We spend most of our time in meetings with Lorenzo's most trusted men, formulating plans on how and when we are going to make our move.

This is a huge risk, something like this has never been done before, if this goes sideways none of us will come out of it alive. We are relying on everyone loyal to Lorenzo to not betray us, everything has to be done exactly when and as it should be.

I can see how much stress this is causing him. I can't lie, part of me is petrified but I can't show it, I need to be strong for him.

A meeting is called in Lorenzo's office 3 days before the wedding. Lorenzo has his hair tied back in a knot, he is all in black again, his tattoos are on display. I try to find out more about his tattoos as the days pass. So far the feather is my favourite. 

"So it's decided then" Pauly asks, looking at myself and Lorenzo.

Lorenzo is sitting in his chair behind his black wooden desk, A large window with reinforced bullet proof glass behind him, there is a warm glow in the room from the setting sun behind us.

He has a glass of whisky in front of him and a cigarette in his hand. I stand on the right hand side beside him. Marco to the side behind me. Marco is still always around even if it is at a distance, he wants to keep me safe and if I am honest I do feel safe when he is near.

"Are you both sure? You really want to do it then?" asks Vinny

I place my hand on Lorenzo's shoulder, his arm crosses his chest so his hand meets mine, he squeezes it firmly but gently, sparks fly through my body at his touch.

"Yes" Lorenzo says strongly enough that they do not question him again

"It is the only time when most of Riccardo's people will be in one place. He has invited so many of his men which means his yards, assets and Camp will be less protected. To get rid of him we have to leave him with nothing. This is the only chance we will have. It must happen at the wedding" I state very matter of fact.

"You have 3 days to make sure the Soldiers are ready and in place, there should be enough of them now. I know we outnumber my father's men at least 2 to 1. We also have some of his men on our side" Lorenzo glances to Marco.

"There is one man at the camp and another in the yard who are loyal to Don Lorenzo, they will give the soldier's access" Marco adds.

"Are we sure they can be trusted?" Vinny asks concerned

"Yes, these men came up the ranks with me, they are my brothers. When we first came to the Martello Empire, Don Luigi - Riccardo's father ruled this Familia. After his sudden heart attack and ultimate death, everything in the family changed. I had given my word to Don Lorenzo's grandfather that I try to help and guide his Son, who was my best friend. But as the years passed the Familia was slowly being destroyed from the inside out. As soon as Lorenzo was born it gave us hope that he would grow up to be the man his grandfather was. This is why we are loyal to Don Lorenzo." Marco sounded so proud, it filled my heart with happiness.