Joseph's Background

Ok, remember Chapter 12? I did say that I would write his story in another chapter. So here it is!

(Joseph will be telling you guys his story so everything will be in his POV)

I was born on 11 March in France. My parents were Counts and were wealthy. I had a twin brother. His name was Claude. My mother did say we had an older sibling but never seemed to have met her.

My brother and I were very close. We wouldn't seperate for any reason and always share our interests with each other. Then one day, everything changed.

As I was at the age of 5, my eyes started to irritate me. They were watery and itching all the time. I complained to my mother but she wouldn't take any action. I had to bear with it for the next few days. I went to a prestigious school and went my teachers saw me, kept on scratching my eyes, they asked me. "Joseph, what is going on? You have continuosly scratched your eyes for the past few days."

I didn't know what was going on so I cried. I asked one of my teachers to call my parents. 20 minutes later, my father came to pick me up. He saw my face all red and my eyes were swollen. He quickly called up my mother to meet him at the hospital. I was then quickly rushed to the hospital. As my father registered me at the counter, my mother together with Claude had arrived.

She saw my face and asked, "My son, what happened to you?" I shook my head and cried. Then one of the nurses called my name and we went in to meet the doctor.

He examined me and said, "Madam, your child here, has a rare condition called Ocean Eyes." Her eyes widened with surprise. "No no no, this can't be. Is there any cure for this?" "Unfortunately, no. When this happens, it sticks with the host for a lifetime." She cried while hugging me. I don't think we can have a son with blue eyes.

When we got home, my mother brought me to my room. She closed the door and gently said, "Ok, dear. I will give you this blindfold. Put them on and never take it off until the process is complete." I sliently nodded amd put on my blindfold.

I wasn't able to go to school because of this. After a few weeks, the process was over. The itching stopped and my eyes weren't watery. So I went to the bathroom and opened my blindfold. I gasped. My eyes weren't normal like Claude's, they were blue! I can still see perfectly but my eyes aren't what they seem to be. I called my brother. He came over and too gasped. "Brother, they look nice on you!" I smiled but I was scared to go to school like this so I asked my parents to homeschool me.

They agreed. And till I turned 18, I studied at home with a private tutor. Whenever I went out, my mother would always tell me to put my blindfold. Many people thought that I was blind and said some comforting things to me. Of course, I looked confused but my brother will always find a way to excuse ourselves.

As I turned 18, I asked my mother whether I could take my blindfold off. She was reluctant at first but eventually agreed. For the first time in my life I could see the world with my eyes and not with a stick.

My brother and I were sent to further our studies in Paris, a city of Art. I went to take on Art with my brother. For the period of time we were there, many students saw my eyes. I was being ignored by a lot of people but Claude was always there for me. In the end we manage to complete our studies and move back home.

A few days after we got back, my father fell sick. A lot of nurses in the mansion had to take care of him. My brother and I wanted to see him but he only let Claude in. I asked my father from the door why I couldn't see him. He told me he doesn't know whether I was his son or not. I broke into tears after hearing those words and went to find my mother.

She was busy in her office, doing paperwork. I ran to my mother and told her everything. She embraced me with her love and told me that after finding out that I had this condition, he wanted to send me up for adoption. I was shocked. Luckily, she didn't agree and had an arguement with him. She has won the arguement and promised to take care of me. My father in return didn't care much. He only has eyes for Claude.

A few weeks after, my father passed. I didn't feel that much of an emotion to begin with. However, my brother cried like a fountain. We attended his funeral. Everyone who were present paid their last respects and left. We were the last ones to leave. I asked Claude "So did Father treat you well?" "Kinda but he force me into things that I don't like. Like business and management. He wanted me to be a businessman." We talked about it till we got home.

I turned 20 eventually and my mother told me I was next in line to be Count. "But mother, father doesn't love me as much. Why do I be Count?" "Dear, it is a tradition. The oldest male in the family will be heir." I nodded and got my title as Count. I vowed to take my father's place and be Count for a lifetime.

I had maintained this position for years. Eventually, my mother had passed. Claude and I were devastated. We couldn't live without her. Both of us had paid our last respects and left her a painting. It was a bouquet of white roses, her favourite. We left the funeral and lived as per normal.

Then one day, as we were painting, Claude started to cough uncontrollably. He had coughed out blood and fainted. I was shocked and carried him to his bed. I immediately called the doctor to examime him. I asked, "What's wrong with him, doc?" "Well, looks like your brother has a sickness which I am not quite familiar with. But he might not make it."

I saw my brother, coughing and having high fever. I wanted to hold his hand but the doctor refrain me from doing it. "Don't. You might get infected as well." I stayed with him and barely went out. From where I was sitting, he called me. "Jos, I want to tell you something. I always wanted to see spring but our area doesn't have it. Can you please take a photo for me?"

I smiled and nodded. "Ok, brother. I will." So I took my father's camera and went back to Paris. I took as much as I can and a few days later, I flew back home. I was excited to show Claude how spring looks like. As I entered his room, I saw him, lying there like a corpse. I rushed to feel his breath. No air was flowing. I cried on the spot. He was gone, for good.

I didn't want to attend his funeral. But to show him how spring looks like, I printed out the pictures and placed it in his hands. "Here Claude, this is how spring looks like." And I left.

I took up photography after my brother's death. I wanted to remember him. Also for those who had loss their loved ones, I will help them as well.

I did this for a living till I turned 60. I sensed the feeling of death and wasn't ready to die yet. So I took a picture of myself now and pulled out a picture of when I was 27. I then realised that the camera itself has its own powers. When I looked into the mirror, I saw my 27-years-old self. But it faded after I closed my camera. My current image has cracks in it. My eyes were as black as coal.

Then I knew what happened. I had trapped my soul in-time. I look like a picture in the real world but a human in the photo world. From there I spend my time in the photo world, not the real one.

One day, I received a letter. It has a flower-like wax stamp at the back. I leafed it through and thought. Can I really bring my brother back? Coming into consideration, I packed my belongings and went to the location stated in the letter.

There I met the love of my life.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, whatever I wrote in Joseph's backstory ain't actually from what the game stated. Some of it are from the game. So this is the end to this story.

Thanks for reading!!