The Unexpected Task

Rosabella's Point Of View:

"What do you need to tell us?" Hermione said, when entered the common room and sat in some arm chairs.

I got the books out my bag and flipped to the pages I needed.

"Read this chapter." I said, as I pushed the book towards them.

"Merpeople?" Harry said, confused.

Ron looked at me blankly. Hermione gave me an uneasy look. I think she had an idea of where this was going.

"Listen. When you opened that egg I heard something other then just the awful screeching noises. There was a rhythm. I spent ages in the music room trying to replicate the rhythm. It's definitely a song. I then started to think who would sing like that. What human could sound like that? That's when I realised it couldn't be human. I went through book after book on creatures. Scanning for creatures known to sing. You'd be surprised on how few of them do. I only just discovered Merpeople today. They can't be understood on land, so they can't sing on land. Therefore, they sound like that god awful noise. Music is a big part of their culture. In every myth about Merpeople they always sing and music is always a key part of their culture. Here read this next." I said urgently, and pushed Hogwarts a History towards them with the book open to the necessary chapter.

"There's Merpeople in the Black Lake?" Ron exclaimed. 

"Shush! Do you want to tell the whole school?" Hermione hissed at him.

"I don't know what the next task is I just know that Merpeople and water are involved. Harry, I think you need to open the egg underwater to be able to decipher the clue." I said.

Harry had an uneasy expression as he processed this new information.

"Potter! Weasley! Will you pay attention?" Professor McGonagall said in an irritated voice.

Harry and Ron jumped and looked up at her. It was the end of the lesson and Harry and Ron had been sword fighting with some of Fred and George's fake wands.

"Now Potter and Weasley have been kind enough to act their age, I have something to say to you all." McGonagall said with an angry look towards Ron and Harry.

"The Yule Ball is approaching – a traditional part of the Triwizard Tournament and an opportunity for us to socialise with our foreign guests. Now, the ball will be open only to fourth-years and above. You may invite a younger student if you wish." McGonagall said.

I looked at Hermione grinning.

A ball? An actual ball?

I was nearly jumping up and down in excitement. Hermione was also struggling to contain her excitement. Lots of the girls in the class had let out giggles. McGonagall ignored it and carried on.

"Dress robes will be worn and the ball will start at eight o'clock on Christmas Day, finishing at midnight, in the Great Hall. Now then, the Yule Ball is of course a chance for us all to – er – let our hair down." McGonagall said, disapprovingly.

I couldn't imagine McGonagall with her hair not in her usual tight bun. The girls in the class giggled harder then ever.

"But that does NOT mean that we will be relaxing the standards of behaviour we expect from Hogwarts students. I will be most displeased if a Gryffindor student embarrasses the school in any way." McGonagall said.

The bell then went and we all gathered our things.

"Potter! A word if you please." McGonagall called over the noise.

Odd.

If she was angry about the sword fighting it would be both Harry and Ron getting scolded.

I told Ron and Hermione to go save Harry and I seats in the Great Hall, while I wait for Harry. They nodded. Harry was out in a few minutes looking like he's just been told someone's died.

"Harry! What is it?" I asked anxiously.

"Ro, please tell me you know how to dance?" Harry asked urgently.