The Dream

Rosabella's Point of View:

"It comes down to this. Either Mr Crouch attacked Viktor. . ." Hermione said, rubbing her forehead.

"Or somebody else attacked both of them when Viktor wasn't looking." I said, finishing her sentence.

"It must've been Crouch. That's why he was gone when Harry and Dumbledore got there. He'd done a runner." Ron said at once.

"I don't think so. He seemed really weak - I don't reckon he was up to Disapparating or anything." Harry said, shaking his head.

"How many times do Ro and I have to tell you? You can't Disapparate in the Hogwarts grounds!" Hermione said.

"OK . . . how's this for a theory. Krum attacked Crouch - no, wait for it - and then Stunned himself!" Ron said excitedly.

I laughed.

"And Mr Crouch evaporated, did he?" I pointed out.

"Oh, yeah. . ." Ron said.

The trio and I had talked late into the night about Crouch so we were all puffy eyed and pale. We got up early and snuck out of the dormitory to send a letter to Dad, telling him about last night. We were now staring out at the misty grounds through the Owlery window.

"Can you go through it again, Harry?" I asked.

"What did Mr Crouch actually say?" Hermione asked.

"I've told you, he wasn't making much sense. He said he wanted to warn Dumbledore about something. He definitely mentioned Bertha Jorkins, and he seemed to think she was dead. He kept saying stuff was his fault . . . he mentioned his son." Harry said

"Well, that was his fault." I said testily.

"He was out of his mind. Half the time he seemed to think his wife and son were still alive, and he kept talking to Percy about work and giving him instructions." Harry said.

"And . . . remind me what he said about You-Know-Who?" Ron asked tentatively.

"I told you. He said he's getting stronger." Harry said dully.

We all paused.

"But he was out of his mind, like you said, so half of it was probably just raving. . ." Ron said with false confidence.

"He was sanest when he was trying to talk about Voldemort. He was having real trouble stringing two words together, but that was when he seemed to know where he was, and know what he wanted to do. He just kept saying he had to see Dumbledore." Harry said, ignoring Ron's wince.

"If Snape hadn't held me up, we might've got there in time. 'The Headmaster is busy, Potter. . . what's this rubbish, Potter?' Why couldn't he have just got out the way?" Harry said, bitterly.

I gave Harry a sympathetic look and wrapped my arms around his waist. Harry responded by wrapping his arms around my shoulders.

"Maybe he didn't want you to get there! Maybe - hang on - how fast d'you reckon he could've got down to the Forest? D'you reckon he could've beaten you and Dumbledore there?" Ron said quickly.

"Not unless he can turn himself into a bat or something." I said tiredly, resting my head on Harry's chest.

"Wouldn't put it past him." Ron muttered.

"We need to see Professor Moody. We need to find out whether he found Mr Crouch." Hermione said.

"If he had the Marauder's Map on him, it would've been easy." Harry said.

"Unless Crouch was already outside the grounds. Once you go past the boundaries you dont show u -" I said but stopped when we heard someone coming up the stairs.

We could hear two voices arguing coming closer and closer.

"- that's blackmail, that is, we could get into a lot of trouble for that-"

That sounded like George.

"-we've tried being polite, it's time to play dirty, like him. He wouldn't like the Ministry of Magic knowing what he did -"

That sounded like Fred.

"I'm telling you, if you put that in writing, it's blackmail!"

That sounded like George again.

"Yeah, and you won't be complaining if we get a nice fat payoff, will you?"