CHAPTER SEVEN:

It rung for a few minutes before picking up, the familiar voice of Thurston filling her ear. "Hey, Pince, that you?" He asked carefully.

"Yeah, it's me. Sorry. I got home a few minutes ago. Stayed with a friend last night." She lied quickly.

In the background, she could hear what sounded like Kim saying "Lies!" In a teasing voice. Thurston chuckled. "We watch the news you know, we aren't completely senile yet."

"I know, it's just embarrassing to say. Like, I went out and crashed a party and went home with the singer. Is that how you wanted me to answer?" She teases.

There's a moment of silence as it seemed Kim was wrestling for the phone. "Hi chipper!" Kim finally said, the phone completely in her hands, using the old nickname used to describe Avery's old Jazzmaster.

It was a slender wooden, sleek instrument with a black pick guard, a black bird in its corner. She'd managed to chip it when WaitTime had been a supporting act with Sonic Youth back in '91.

The nickname had stuck around, as well a lot of people, like Kurt Cobain, could completely destroy their guitars by tossing them, Avery had only managed to chip one of hers.

Back to the call.

"Hey Kim. Miss you." She cooed softly

"Miss you too. But, what's the story? Liam Gallagher? Heard he's a dick."

"Well. He's something special." I answer discreetly

Kim is silent for a minute. "If he's terrible and treats you like shit, you leave right now. Never speak to him again. Chipper, you deserve better. You know that."

"Kim! No!-" I was interrupted by Thurston. "We'll come beat him up. Do a better job than Alex James did."

"Wrong Gallagher." I add "That was Noel."

"Told you so." Kim says playfully to her husband.

"Anyways, that's not what I meant by special Kim. Very glad to know you're concerned. But my god, no, we just slept together, hung out for a bit. Gave me his number."

"Did you use protection?" Thurston yells over Kim

"Thurston! Stop it! She's responsible.." she then harshly says "Did you?"

"Oh my god! Yes! And I'm on birth control. Don't worry! I will not be having a baby any time soon."

"Good. Not that it wouldn't be a cute kid. But you've got a career in front of you. We need more girls in rock and you're currently inspiring a lot of women."

Kim was amazing at making someone not feel like shit, the way she managed to lift me up snd make myself feel validated with my own music, band and accomplishments. Often times, I felt like I didn't deserve it, or that I shouldn't be labeled as a poster child for "girl rock."

There was a moment of silence again as Thurston wrestled for the phone. "Speaking of career's, you know what's coming up..."

I groan. "Not you too. Even Courtney's buzzing about the fucking VMA's."

Thurston coughs and says "They're still hopelessly in love with you." Avoiding the topic of Courtney entirely.

"If I go this year, I think I'll just throw the stupid moon man at the camera."

"That would be in character for you." Kim says gently as Thurston starts laughing his ass off. "My god. Please. I'm begging you. Please do it."

"We don't want them blacklisting her, do we?" Kim asks him sternly

"Oh come on Kim! Don't tell me it wouldn't be worth it. Besides, our little Pince has been to much finer award ceremonies now." He fakes a few tears.

Kim snatches the phone away and then says "You wouldn't be alone. Plenty of people we all know are going to be there. Plus, your little Oasis pals are going to be there."

"Who else?" I ask, rubbing my eyes.

"Um. Let me think." There's another momentary silence before starting to talk again.

"Well the Smashing Pumpkins should be there. So Billy, you know Billy right? He used to date Courtney."

"I've never officially met him. Think his band is brilliant. I think he's helping her with Hole's new album though."

"Great. He's got an ego. Suck up to him. You'll get along well."

Thurston then yells into the phone "WAIT! Someone you do know will be there. Dave's new group got nominated a ton. Then Alice and Chains, Beck, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Garbage. Tons of people you know."

"Please go, people like seeing your face and knowing you're okay Avery. A lot of your peers and friends would be there. They miss you. Trust us. We hear everything." Kim says

I snicker and sigh "Fine. I'll think about it. Besides WaitTime has what? 6 noms? They'll get pissed if at least one of us doesn't show."

"7 actually. I counted." Thurston says.

I groan. "Fine. I'm calling my manager back. Telling them I'll need a couple extra invites. Besides. That's the least MTV could pull out of their ass for me."

The two laugh. "Good. We look forward to watching, just like always."

"Bye Kim, Bye Thurston. Talk to you later." With that I hung up, tossing the phone onto the bed.

WaitTime had dropped what I had thought to be the shittiest album of the year, with a couple videos to boot. But apparently people had been eating it up. A few weeks after it came out, I'd kicked myself out of the country and into the UK. Deciding I wanted a break.

But now, once again, I seemed to have been proved wrong. People wanted more, wanted to see me.

The idea of pancakes were floating back into my mind, but I had to call my manager first, tell her what I was going to need in order for this to work.

So I called, not even thinking about the time.

"Jesus Avery, do you know what time it is?" He asks, tiredly

"I'll go to the VMAS. Few conditions though."

"You will? What changed your mind? And sure! What do you need?"

"People changed my mind and er, I need maybe 4 extra invites or something."

"Hell. I can try. But you know they'll want something in return right?"

"I know, but just try. Please? Let me know what they say. I need to go. Pancakes, gotta go get them."

"What? Are you alright?"

"Yes. Of course. But I need to go eat breakfast."