CHAPTER FIFTY FOUR

Talking to Graham at Noel's bar, out of the viewpoint from anyone in the back area, was really eye opening for me, as for the first time in a long time, I felt like I was really talking to Graham, and it wasn't just a shadow of a person that I was conversing with.

He was still on his first drink, trying to take it slow in case he'd end up getting kicked out by Noel or any members of the so called "primrose hill set."

Either way, it was a learning experience, as I had found out that Graham was in fact a Grunge fan and had been since the late 80's. He was a fan of the Melvins! The fucking Melvins! Oh my god, it was so rare to find a British person who knew who they were.

Especially since they were a Seattle based band, and most of the fucks in Britpop hated any kind of music that was born and bred in Seattle.

"You know, my friend, he uh used to watch the Melvins rehearse and stuff, drove their van and shit like that." I say, eager to have a conversation about my type of music without it being shit on.

"That's fucking amazing. I mean seriously. Jesus, sometimes I wish I'd experienced more of the Grunge scene. I always thought that whole Britpop-Grunge shit was stupid as fuck. Seriously, think about how beautiful a merge would've been."

I nod my head, listening mindlessly to what he said, agreeing with it for the most part. I mean. He had a point.

And soon enough, we were back to the topic of American bands and whether I knew them or not.

"What about Bikini Kill? Have you met them before?"

Oh my god. Graham was a riot grrrl fan. He liked feminist punk music. Now this, I could most certainly get along with on another level. I'd never ever suspected this from the quiet guitarist in Blur.

Or the man I'd been friends with for honestly, more than half a decade. How was I just figuring this shit out? Why had Graham and I never had a seriously conversation about music?

"Bikini Kill? Love them. Toured with them at Lollapalooza '95. Headlined with Sonic Youth and Hole. Was amazing. I mean seriously, they perform really well."

"You're blowing my mind Avery. God, I'm still stuck on the fact that you're going to try and get Kim and Thurston to produce whatever the fuck we're doing."

"Trust me. They'll do it in a heartbeat Graham. And I swear, they'll like you."

Just then, I spot what looks like a curious Kate Moss, exiting the back corner of Noel's house, looking towards me and approaching slowly. So, as calmly as I can I say "Walk to the fish tank, go hide on the other side of it. I'll try to get there soon."

He nods, understanding that he would probably get caught if he didn't and with that, he takes his drink and makes his way towards the tank. Moments before Kate walks up and takes his seat.

"Who was that?" She asks teasingly "Liked his glasses, and the sweater to be honest. Reminded me of that fellow in Weezer."

"Rivers Cuomo?" I ask, now that she'd brought it up, Graham did suspiciously resemble that man. Weird.

"Probably. Anyways, where did you run off to last night? Word is that it was with the singer in Blur. What's his name, Damon Albarn?" It rolls off her tongue nicely.

I'd told Jude that it was Graham. How had we made our way back to Damon? I loved him, I really did, but the guy wasn't even involved yet had managed to get the center of attention.

"Nope. Was with Graham Coxon. Started recording a new project." I say happily, proud of the work that had been done today.

Kate raises her head, pretending to know who I'm talking about and then lights a cigarette before saying "I have a bet going, with Noel.. That you were actually with his brother. Well. Both of us think it."

"I haven't seen Liam in months. Was he here last night?" I play dumb.

"You know he was. Besides. Noel said he heard the two of you in his bathroom fighting."

"Anything else?"

"Neither of us have told anyone else, relax. We're both very pro Avery and Liam. I personally think Matt is too much of a sweetheart for you." She pouts.

"Very funny." I say rolling my eyes and taking a sip of my water.

"No alcohol tonight? What's the occasion?"

"Got big things to do."

"You're doing it aren't you?" Kate asks, a big grin across her face.

"Doing what?" I was starting to get a little annoyed at the fact she seemed to know everything that was going on, and I barely knew her.

"Breaking up with Matt. Wait, here's my actual bet with Noel. Did he propose?"

This woman was more of a prophet than Courtney Love. It was eerie. I gape at her before starting to talk again. "How do you even know about that?"

"The box fell out of his pocket a couple days ago. Asked him about it. Then, I went and talked to Noel and asked who it would be for and there was only one answer."

Liam was not only an idiot. But a klutz as well, or so it seemed.

"If you must know, yes, I'm staying sober to break up with Matt." I say hesitantly, looking around and then seeing someone else start to approach us.

Of course it was Noel.

"You were right, he did do it." Kate says, pulling an amount of money out of her bag and handing it to Noel, who laughs before turning to me. "Avery, you have no fucking idea how glad I am it's you and not some other woman."

"Why?" I ask, confused, also realizing he's drunk out of his mind.

"Because, allofthe women he's dated, are bitchy, but I actually like you for once." He starts slurring his words together, leaning on the counter for support.

"Wow. He's drunk."

"Shush. You're ruining the moment." Noel says, glaring at me for a moment.

If only Graham were seeing this shit. He'd be freaking out.

Kate looks unamused by Noel and sighs, calling out for someone to come and get him, which they do. Then, she turns to me, with the same elegance and poise she'd had when I first met her.

"Good luck with it all, let me know how it all goes." Then she was off, slipping behind the counter to make herself yet another drink.