CHAPTER FORTY SEVEN

Looking at the bar up close now, I ran my hand across one of the only empty seats at the counter and pulled myself onto it, as Kate slid behind the counter and started fidgeting with the bottles of alcohol, along with the mixers as well, prepping a glass.

"Ever had a martini where you snort coke off the rim?" She asks, glancing over at me, starting to make the drink, ignoring the beady eyed and hopeful girls looking at her.

I shake my head no, perhaps a bit too caught up in how Kate Moss was. "I'll try one though. Seems fun." I add quickly, not wanting to seem like a downer or a disappointment.

She grins "Had a feeling you were into that. Well, I mean everyone kinda does. Had a bet with my ex."

Her ex? Does that mean Johnny Depp? Did celebrities wonder that the other took in their spare time?

She seems to catch my confusion and laughs "If you're thinking Johnny, then you'd be right. Don't worry! He just thought you looked sad and high one time. That's all. Definitely no bad blood." She winks, continuing on the drink.

I caught what sounded like a twinge of sadness in her voice, as if she was upset for just saying his name, or thinking about him. Now that, I could relate to.

So I decide to say it.

"I understand what you're feeling, you know? Um. I think about my past partner a lot." I shrug my shoulders, looking down at the ground.

"Liam?" She asks, before continuing "I don't doubt that he doesn't do the same thing. But, why are you with Matt then?"

"He makes me happy and Liam's well, he's married, has two kids, one of which he refuses to see and it's complicated, I just-"

"Don't want to tangle yourself up, and become the unloved one?" She finishes.

I nod my head eagerly before saying "I love him. And I know it's wrong. Especially when I've got someone who's devoted to me. But I can't help it, I've tried to make it stop, and I well, think about two instead of one." I groan, feeling bad for dumping this onto her.

Instead of saying anything, she slides the finished drink to me, placing an already rolled up dollar bill in my hand.

"This'll help take your mind off of it, here, I'll even help you out." Kate says, then taking her finger and wiping around half of the rim before rubbing the concoction onto her gums and laughs.

Leaving me to snort the other half, and before I did, I looked over in the direction of Matt, and back to my drink, satisfied that he wasn't paying attention. I wasn't sure what his stance on drugs were, but so far I'd avoided them with him around.

Either way, I snorted it up, before taking a sip of my drink.

"You like it?" She asks

I nod my head "Coke's much better here."

"Ever had it in Mexico?" She questions

I shake my head no, to which she laughs and says "You really need to get out more, how have you not developed a British accent yet?"

Probably because I spent a confusing amount of time with several different accents and a few fellow Americans. Also, was that a thing? Developing accents? I had no idea.

But before I know it, Kate's grabbed my hand and she's pulling me in the direction of the large fucking fish tank, where the music gets louder and the crowd gets thicker, swallowing all of us whole.

Here, in the damn middle, nobody cared who anyone was, all anybody wanted to do was dance and go home with bragging rights about getting into Noel Gallagher's Primrose Hill parties.