CHAPTER FORTY FIVE

Italy. So far, for me it had meant spending days alone in a hotel room, or watching Matt act his heart out for hours at a time, sometimes sneaking my way into the background shots of the film at the instruction of the director.

In the night it meant eating out, taking boat rides and smoking cigarettes on balconies with the group.

The group consisting of Jude Law, Gwyneth Paltrow, Cate Blanchett, Matt and I, occasionally a few others would join, but it was mostly all of us wrecking havoc in the streets, clubs, wherever we ended up.

Today, had been a break for filming and we'd managed to rent out a yacht for the day and take it out on the water to take our minds off the dark scenes that were going to redone within the next couple days.

So sitting out on a table, wearing one of my nicest sun dresses and playing chess seemed like an amazing time, the sound of jazz music drifting in and out of my ears.

From the corner of my eye, I could see Matt and Jude chatting, tossing their over shirts onto one of the empty beach chairs.

"Avery! I'm going to skip your turn if you don't stop staring at Matt." Cate complains.

Whipping my attention back to the chess board, I move one of my rooks, taking one of her bishops. "I'm not staring at them, only at the water." I feel my cheeks blush before watching her move the pieces.

It was one of the days where we weren't all fawning over the 60's themed movie they were acting in.

My favorite night so far had been the times where Matt and Jude's characters had been out in the jazz clubs, as we all got to sit and watch in the fake audiences, dressed in the extra costumes that had been left on set.

In fact, we'd stolen the chess set from where the bath scene with Dickie and Tom.

And now we were using it on the yacht we'd rented out, instead of the usual sail boat that Tom, Marge and Dickie used for their travels most of the time.

We went over a wave and the board spills over, most of the pieces scattering onto the ground.

"And that's game!" I hear the somewhat flirtatious voice of Jude Law say as he slips over, looking over the messed up game, causing Cate to groan.

"Oh please, you're just mad that I beat you earlier." She teases, sticking a tongue out at him, before standing.

"It's chess Cate! We're sitting here on a yacht and you two are playing chess." He groans.

"I still think we could've just used the sail boat." She says, pulling her shades over her eyes and then walking towards the front of the boat, where Gwyneth was sun bathing, and Matt in all his glory was dancing pretty terribly to Duke Ellington.

I stand up as well, ditching my coverup and dashing towards him, where he embraces me, gently whispering into my ear "Was chess that boring?"

"I heard that." Cate exclaims, from a few feet away.

"I enjoy playing chess for one." I tease, kissing him gently.

"More than me?" He pouts, pulling me closer to him, a grin on his face.

"Of course not!" I say quickly and watch as his hands run over me, settling on my waist, tight and firm which causes Jude to look over and laugh a bit "Get a room you two..there are plenty here."

He gestures, waving his hands around to the boat we were on and then plops down on the chair next to Gwyneth, taking a sip of her drink before taking the letter in her hands.