To The Dark Kingdom

The footmen were loading Cassandra's luggage in the carriage. She stood in front of the carriage door, waiting for her parents to say goodbye.

Cassandra was beyond angry at her mother and father. How could her parents do this to her? The people of the Dark Kingdom were their enemies! How could they arrange a marriage for her, without her consent, to a total stranger from enemy grounds? Sun knows what he was, possibly a serial killer or something sick or sadistic. She knew nothing about him besides his origin, he was the son of a lord and that he was the future Royal Adviser.

At last, her father came out with his usual, stoic expression. Immediately, Cassandra realized that her mother wasn't going to even bother to say goodbye. Why would she anyways? Cassandra had only, and would always be, a disappointment to the woman. Frankly, she'd like to say she didn't care, but it wasn't true. It still stung her heart that her mother wanted nothing to do with her. Perhaps that was her mother's true intentions by agreeing to the betrothal. Just to get rid of her. Cassandra would be beyond surprised if that was truly the case.

"Bye, Dad," she said sadly. She didn't want to leave! She didn't want to leave her father, or her dream of becoming a Royal Guard and fighting crime by her father's side behind. It was all she had ever wanted, and she was certain it was all she'd ever want or need.

"Cassandra, I know you might be angry with me, but I think this is for the best. This has great opportunities for you, and who is to say you won't even like him?"

"Dad, he's from the Dark Kingdom!"

"The people of the Dark Kingdom are not much different than us, Cassandra. I think you will actually get along with them once you see that and perhaps like it there better. As for your fiance, give him a chance. I met him myself a few times on the occasions I went with King Fredric to visit the Dark Kingdom on business. I promise, I wouldn't just send you to marry some random man that could be a total heathen and barbarian. I'm not the best in judging character, but even I can tell that he's neither."

Cassandra groaned. "I'll try."

The captain smiled as he gently cupped her right cheek in his hand. They hugged before she entered the carriage. "Be safe," her father said.

"Knowing how many guards you probably have for me, it would be impossible to be otherwise," Cassandra teased as she closed the door. With that, the driver made the horses move and she began her journey to the Dark Kingdom.

◇◇◇◇◇◇

"What do I do? She arrives next week!" Varian paced the room.

"Just play it normal," Eugene replied. "Do it my way."

Varian cast him a glare. "Playing it your way never got you a girl. Well, apart from Stalyon, but that didn't last long at all."

"That's because I haven't found the right one," Eugene shot back.

"Yes, well, she's the only one I'm getting and I'm stuck with her, so I can't risk messing this up. I need a good first impression, because I need her to like me at least. I did not get this far in my life for an unhealthy marriage." Varian put his hands on his hips.

"All girls like a boy with courage," Lance, Eugene's bodyguard and friend, said.

"Yes, well, I'm not sure I'm grade A at that," Varian huffed.

"You do realize that you've been snarking off to your future king all day, right?" Lance pointed out.

"Pfft! Eugene's Eugene. He's not gonna do anything about it anyways. Too prideful to say that I get the best of him." Varian smirked. "Besides, I've already done it my entire life."

Eugene put a hand on his chest, mocking offense. "I have been wounded! You hurt me with that!"

"Yeah, only because you know it's true, but we're getting sidetracked."

"How about a gift? Ladies like chocolate and flowers right?" Lance suggested.

"Yeah, but I bet any guy gives her those. I'm her fiance. I need to think bigger, like..." he suddenly snapped his fingers. "A pony!"

"A pony?" Eugene raised a brow.

"Well, maybe more like a horse. I can't go wrong with that!"

"Unless she hates animals," Lance added.

"Then she won't have to ride it. Horses have more potential than just riding them."

"Wouldn't a kitten do?" Eugene asked.

"I'm set on the horse. Besides, I know just where I can get the best," Varian answered.