Late Night Talk

Varian and Cassandra put the horses in the stables.  Sneaking past the guards would be easy.  Varian knew their sqedual like the back of his hand.  Well, he wrote a few notes on the back of his hand, but he wasn't going to tell her that.  He would just casually fiddle with his gloves and get a peek at them to make sure he wasn't going to get them caught.

It didn't matter if they were engaged, rumors spread fast in the kingdom.  They didn't want to give anybody the chance to jump conclusions and start a rumor that they did something.  Holding a good reputation during and an engagement had been harder than Varian thought.

Quietly, Varian opened Cassandra's door.  "That was fun."

"Yeah, it was," she whispered.  She stepped closer to go through her door.  She realized that their faces were only inches away, making her freeze.

Varian realized that she wasn't moving.  Was he supposed to back off or...  Surprising himself, he began to slowly learn forward to close the gap.  Cassandra snapped out of her chance and cleared her throat and walked into her room.  "Uh... goodnight!"

"Yeah... um... night..." he rubbed the back of his neck nervously as she closed the door.  Sighing, he went to his own room.  It was a dumb move.  It was too soon apparently.  He had to go mess it up like always and read the whole situation wrong.  Or maybe he read it right and she changed her mind.  Did he have bad breath?  He checked.  No, it was actually kind of minty.  Unless, she didn't like mint.

He closed the door behind him.  The lamp turned on, making him yelp.  He sighed when it was only Eugene.  "Where were you?"

"Just out for a ride.  Sheash!  Don't scare me like that!"  Varian took his coat off and threw it over the back of the chair.

"Only for a ride?"

"What the heck?  Horace!  What do you think I did?"

"Calm down, Goggles!  Man, you've been hanging around Dragon Lady too much.  She's starting to rub off on you.  I wasn't trying to imply anything.  I only meant was how did it go?"

"Sorry, Eugene," Varian sighed.  "It went well until I misread the mood and scared her off..."  he slumped down in a chair.

"What did you do?"

"Nothing.  I just thought she wanted..."  he sighed.  "Really, Eugene.  It doesn't matter.  Why the heck are you up?  It's one in the morning."

"Well, I actually came by an hour ago.  We usually raid the kitchens every Friday, remember."

"Oh, sorry Eugene.  I forgot.  Cassandra and I needed a break from all the wedding duties."

"I hear ya," Eugene smirked.  "Are you falling for that woman?"

"We're getting married so I don't see why it's surprising that we shouldn't fall in love," Varian rubbed his eyes.

"It's just, I still kinda feel like we were kids gluing Croix to his chair."

Varian chuckled.  "Those were good times, but we aren't kids anymore.  I haven't exactly been one since... well, you know.  Duty it responsibility, and responsibility is duty.  Gotta live by that now."

"Just don't forget to cut loose sometimes.  Don't want you getting old and wrinkly before your time."

"What is it with you and wrinkles?"  Varian chuckled.

"Alright.  I'll go to bed now, as should you.  You've got another big day ahead of you."

"And you have your own princely duties to worrie about.  I gotta settle on what color we're using to make the banners and everything else it seems," Varian yawned as he unbuttoned his shirt.

"Good night, Varian."

"Hmmm... night, Eugene..."