Talk In The Library

The couple found themselves sitting in the library after that incident.  Varian didn't seem to fazed at all as he licked up a physics book.  Cassandra put a hand on the book and made him put it down.

"Why is your tudor a jerk?  Why do you let him walk all over you?"

"Stuck with him.  You see the Dark Kingdom lacks in teachers, especially tudors.  Even thought the Moonstone is pretty classified, there are still rumors, so what tudors we do have fear the castle."

"Can't you higher a tudor from someone where else?"

"Same reason. No one wants to come."  He began to pick up his book again.  "Besides, he's getting better.  It's not like he hits me anymore, so..."

Cassandra put her hand on his book, slamming it back on the table.  "Like he hits you anymore!  Did he beat you?  Your parents let him do that?"

"No, to the latter.  You see, I was younger when he started hitting me when I messed up an answer or just did something to irritate him in the first place.  Well, that was pretty much everything that ticks him off.  Of course, being young, I didn't tell my parents because I thought I'd get in trouble with them too.  I hid my bruises and even created a bruise cream to heal them faster.  I was able to do that for a long time."

"Did they ever learn?"

"Yes.  One day, my mama noticed that I was limping and she insisted on knowing why.  I tried to convince her it was nothing, but mama was more stubborn than me.  When I couldn't even sit down to let her check me out, she just rolled up my pants legs and called my dad.  He was able to confirm that I was been hit with a stick.  He had recieved similar treatment in the past, so my mom knew she wasn't making an assumption.  Of course I had to explain.  That was when my dad marched up to Mr. Croix, picked him up by the shirt and slammed him up against the wall.  He threatened him that if he ever hurt me again, that he would give Croix double.  That was the end of that, and now I can always have that scene replay in my head."

"Oh, so is him telling your dad is not a concern?"

"Not really.  He might ask for my side, but that's it... except for that one occasion when I was mad enough to glue Mr. Croix to his chair."  Varian gave a nervous laugh.

"So, you don't actually let him walk all over you?"

"Nah, he really isn't worth the sweat."

Cassandra slumped in her chair.  "Well, guess that's that."

"Cassie, if you don't mind me asking, why are you so set against marriage?  You're a really nice person once people get to know you.  Is it because you feel tied down?"

"...No.  It's because I don't want to get hurt again," she admitted.

"Again?"

"There was this guy.  Swept me off my feet, got as far as getting engaged.  He was nice, and charming, and pretty good looking for a guy in a man bun.  Anyways, he turned out to be a jerk who only wanted to marry me because I was the daughter of a rich family. Once he learned that my cousin was actually going to be the one to inherit the money, he ditched me.  You see, my mom didn't want me to have the inheritance so that I would feel the need to marry.  My dad did like it, but he had to let my mom have it her way on some occasions, plus I didn't really want it."

Varian grabbed her hand, making her look at him with surprise.  "Well, I'm not like him."

"We're kinda forced to see it to the end," she reminded him.

"Who says we have to be forced?"

"I'm... just not exactly ready yet..."

"I get it," he promised.