First Morning P2

Varian chuckled.  "What I'd tell you, Cassie?  Adira's the best fighter we have."

"I told not to call me Cassie!"  Cassandra snapped.  She was a bit salty from being so easily beaten by Adira.  Without a second thought, she tackled Varian.

Yelping with surprise, he grabbed her arms to keep her punching him as his back hit the ground.  They started rolling around on the ground.  Varian fighting to her to get her to calm down and talk it out and Cassandra was fighting to throw in a punch or two.

A passing guard looked at Adira.  "What's wrong with them."

She put her sword back in its sheath.  "They're getting married."

"Ohhhh."  The guard chuckled.  "Rough start?"

"Yep."

"We should just talk this out!"  Varian shouted, hoping she'd listen.

"I think not!"  Cassandra landed on top of Varian.  Neither of them noticed how close to the stone wall they had become.  As Cassandra shoved him down by the shoulders, his goggles hit the wall.

The sound of glass breaking reached Varian's ears.  "Stop!"  He cried.

Cassandra jumped off him.  The tone of his voice sounded like she really hurt him.  She hadn't meant to.  Well a few punches, yes, but not actually hurt.

Varian scrambled to sit up, pulling his goggles off his head.  One of the lenses was broken.  "You broke them!" He shrieked.

"I'll buy you a new pair," Cassandra offered.  They were just goggles, right?  She understood why he was upset though.  If someone broke her halberd, she wouldn't be very happy either.

"You can't just get me a new one," Varian snapped as he stood up, tears building in his eyes.

A hard guilt began to settle in Cassandra's stomach.  They were more than just goggles to him.  They were very sentimental.  They had a deeper meaning than just something he wore all the time.

"You see," he began as he held up his goggles.  Cassandra could see his hand shaking.  Whether it was from rage or something else, she couldn't tell.  "These were my mother's!"

"Mother?"  Cassandra started to feel sick.  She was beginning to see why she hadn't met his mother.  What had she done?

"Yes!"  Varian hissed before bending down to pick up the shards of glass and putting them in his pouch on his belt.  Cassandra made as if to help, but Varian held up his hand.  "Don't you think you've done enough?"

She bit her lower lip, backing away.  "I'm sorry, Varian-"

"Save it," he growled as he stood back up.  He brushed past her.  Adira tried to put a comforting hand on his shoulder, but Varian shook it off.  He continued back into the castle.

"Well.  That went well," Adia said to herself.  She thought riding the fight out would be the best choice, but she realized that she probably should have stepped in.

Varian set his goggles on the desk and poured out the glass shards.  with his sleeve, he wiped a tear off his cheek as he gave a loud sniff.  He went to grab a beaker, but his hands were still shaking.  Because of this, he only knocked it off his desk. It broke in three pieces as it hit the ground.  "Are you freaking kidding me?"

Sighing he ran a gloved hand through his hair.  He wasn't certain if he'd be able to fix the lense or if he'd have to replace it entirely.  He wasn't going to be able to if he didn't calm down though.  His dad would be able to calm him down.  He wanted to see his dad for a minute so he would be able to stop the shaking.

Getting up from his seat at his desk, he walked to the throne room.  Lance was standing guard.  "Woe! Are you ok?"

"I want my dad," he answered in a shaky voice.

"I'll go see if I can get him," Lance said.

"Thank you," he whispered.  Varian placed the hall as he waited. As he passed a door, he froze.

Varian.

He turned back to the door.  The voice was coming from the forbidden room.  He had heard the voice a few times, especially when his mom died.  When he told his father, people were worried that he was going crazy, but it eventually stopped when the grieving began to subside.  Here he was, upset again, and the voice was calling him.