Introductions

"Her name is Fidella," Varian explained.

"She's magnificent!"  Cassandra breathed, gently touching her new animal friend.

Lance leaned over and whispered in Varian's ear.  "It isn't concerning that she likes the gift more than she does you?"

The seventeen year old rolled his eyes, batting his friend away.  He walked over to the stall himself, leaning his elbows on the stall door.  Cassandra had locked herself in to keep the horse from escaping and that she could get closer to Fidella.

"You like horses?"

"Love them.  Always wanted one of my own, but my mother claimed it wasn't proper."

"Oh... suppose she won't like me then?"

Cassandra rolled her eyes.  "She isn't what you'd have in mind for a mother.  I was nothing more than an ornament to her, and I'm being real here.  I'm not just saying it.  It was mainly me and my dad."

"I'm sorry to hear that," Varian said.

Cassandra looked at him, searching his eyes to see if he was being genuine.  However, she wasn't the best eye reader and gave up.  He was probably just saying it for show.  Another step into making her fall into his trap.  Well, she wasn't going to he taken so easily by this boy.  She was still going to fight tooth and nail to get out of the marriage.  He wasn't going to change that.

After a long moments silence, Varian idly glanced at the door.  "I suppose we should head in.  I know my Dad is probably done with his duties now and he wants to meet you.  I'm sure the king would like to meet you."

"Right."  Cassandra gave Fidella one final pat before getting out of the stall.  She followed Varian and Lance into the castle and threw multiple halls and stairways.

"And people complained how many steps my home has," Cassandra mumbled.

Varian chuckled.  "Eugene and I begged our parents to make slides to go down when we were little, but they wouldn't have it.  So we did the next best thing and slid down the railing."

"And going up?" Cassandra inquired.

"We had to endure," Varian shrugged.

"Correction, we still do," Lance said.

Finally, they reached a room with large doors.  Lance opened it, bringing them into the throne room.  There were four men and a woman standing in it discussing something.  Varian seemed to hesitate for a moment, but he began to make his way over anyways.  Cassandra followed suite.  She noticed that Lance stayed at the door.  It made since, she supposed.  He was a guard after all, not someone with that much of a social status.

Cassandra fingered her fan in her hands, beginning to feel a nervousness grow in her stomach.  She wasn't sure why.  She was invited to Royal Banquets all the time.  For goodness sake, her best friend was the crowned princess of Corona.  Why was she nervous meeting the king of a dump?

"Ah!"  One man said, noticing them.  "You must be Lady Cassandra," he said.

She curtsied, remembering her manners.  Varian felt slightly offended that she had made fun of him for his bow, but then again, he wasn't Royalty.

Another man held out his hand.  "I am Quirin, Father of Varian."

So this was her future father in law.  He didn't look much like Varian at all, taking her aback.  Was the woman Varian's mother?

"This is Hector, and Adira,"  Varian introduced.  "Along with King Edmund, they are my honorary uncles and aunt.  That is Prince Horace."

"Eugene.  My name is Eugene," the prince corrected.

"Right.  Of course," Varian replied.  He made sure to leave the sarcasm out.

Cassandra glanced around the room.  Where was Varian's mother?