The Call

Varian

The voice was like a ghostly, unearthly voice. He supposed it was female, but he was to focused on the voice in his head to pay attention what exactly it sounded like. Slowly, he pushed the door open. Weird. It was always locked.

The room was huge but empty. All except for the the cage made of black rocks, holding a glowing blue stone. It looked the color of luminous, but he could tell that it wasn't. Intrigued by it, he began to slowly make his way over. The stone pulsed as it floated in its cage.

Varian. Take it.

Hesitantly, Varian began to reach in to touch it.

"Varian!"

Quirin's voice made him jump. He looked over his shoulder but he suddenly couldn't move. His head turned back to the mysterious stone, eyes glazing over. His hand began to reach for it. He tried to pull his hand back, but his body wouldn't take any of his commands.

It's your destiny!

Visions crossed Varian's eyes. Black rocks, a demon, destruction, the moon and sun, and a man in a cloak. His middle finger was a millimeter away from touching the stone when a shoulder rammed into his chest.

Varian landed on the floor, gasping. His eyes came back into focus. His blue hair stripe had been standing straight up and glowing, but it instantly fell back into place. He began to shake all over as sweat began to build on his forehead. What had he seen?

"What were you thinking?" Quirin shrieked, bringing Varian back into reality.

"Th-the voice! There was a-a voice... it was calling me and-and I couldn't control..." Varian's voice got caught in his throat as he started hpbervenalting.

Realizing his son was in the middle of a full blown panic attack, Quirin quickly dropped to his knees. "Varian, calm down. It's ok now. Breath. Breath with me." He put his son's hand on his chest to follow his breaths.

After a couple minutes, Varian began to calm down. "It was calling me... then possessed me..." he whispered.

Quirin still had his son in his arms. His brows creased with worry. He didn't want it to be true, but it was and he could no longer ignore it. He would have to look into it, and research more.

"Let's get you somewhere else," he soothed. Varian nodded as his father helped him to his feet.

◇◇◇◇◇◇

Cassandra sat at the desk in her room. Dipping het pin in ink she began to write a letter to her dad. The guilt still burned in her stomach and she needed to confess what she had done. Now she messed everything up. She didn't want to be married, but she hadn't meant to lose so much control of herself. Her mother was right. She was a disgrace.

A knock sounded at her door. Curious, she put the cap on her ink and opened the door. It was Lance. "Um..." he began. "You've been called."

"Called?"

"Don't know what about," Lance admitted. "I'm just here to lead you."

"Ok." Cassandra nodded and began to follow young man down the halls. They eventually came to the meeting room where she was instructed to sit at the table. She grew nervous when she noticed that it was the whole council (Edmund, Quirin, Hecto, Adira and Eugene. Varian wasn't part of the council yet) sitting at the table.

Edmund cleared his throat. "Since you are Varian's fiancé, we believe that you should be a part of this meeting."

"Your Highness?"

"So far, the Moonstone has been kept a classified secret, and only a few chosen people know about it. You see, Varian is not someone with this classified information, but, it appears, he has a connection to it just found out today," Edmund began.

"I'm totally lost," Cassandra said.

"We need to back track and tell her what the Moonstone is," Adira frowned. The council members looked at Quirin. He sighed and began to think through how the details should be given.