Arrival

Cassandra now understood why it was called the Dark Kingdom.  It was dark and dreary and there was no sun.  Not to mention the strange, but mysterious, pointed black rocks that covered the Kingdom's territory.  It almost looked like a scene from one of the spooky stories her father would tell her when she was little.  Of course, they were just tales that people imagined.

Strange or not, the castle was magnificent.  Surrounded by the black rock she hadn't realized how beautiful they could be.  So far on the trip, she had seen them as a nuisance because of all the detours they had to take when they covered their road.  At that moment, she was taken aback by their revealed beauty.

Then it hit her.  She was about to meet her future husband.  What would he be like?  He had to at least be a little taller than her, for she was above female average height.  She was five foot seven after all.  He would have to have some muscles, because she wasn't going to marry a wimp, as cold as it may sound.

They soon arrived at the palace.  Her eyes settled on the first person descending the stairs.  Was this her fiance?  He was tall, broad shouldered, and was not lacking in muscles.  He had dark skin and he wore a whole suit of armour.  Perhaps this wouldn't be too bad.

He opened the carriage door.  As he stepped out of the way, she saw that there was another boy standing behind him.  She stepped out of the wagon and the boy held his hand out.  Merely for the sake of being polite, she accepted.

"Welcome to the Dark Kingdom, m'lady.  I trust you fared well on your journey?"

"Are you...?"

He bowed respectfully.  "I am Varian, son of Quirin, the current Prince's Attendant."

So she was getting married to a stick with freckles.  He wasn't even her height either by being an inch or two shorter.  "Cassandra," she answered shortly.

Varian straightened up.  "That's a beautiful name.  It suits you."

"Are you trying to flatter me?" Cassandra raised a brow.  The question made the boy miss a beat.

"Er... yes?  Is that not what people do when they court?"  He asked.

Gosh.  Did he look innocent.  Perfect.  He was naive and clueless as well.  Was he not supposed to be the future Royal Adviser?  Not only that, but he was such a show off with his manners, as if that was enough to woo her.  How could her father think that they'd be a good match?

"The snobby ones," she answered, taking her hand away.  Lance winced at her answer as she began to walk up the stairs.

Varian looked crushed for a split second, but then his eyes hardened as he went after her.  "Then I won't compliment you if it offends you."

"Flattery gets no one anywhere.  I prefer to be straight forward,"  Cassandra responded.

"Your pretty blue dress had me fooled for a minute.  You are the most odd Lady I have ever come across, if you don't mind me saying."

"You have problem with that?" She turned to him as she reached the door.

Varian smiled, unfazed by her angry demeanor.  "No.  Can't say I do, but it would not matter what my opinion is, Cassie."

"Don't call me Cassie!"

"No pet names then," Varian noted.

"What do I look like?  A petting zoo?  Why would I need a pet name if I already have one?"

"Do you like animals?"

"Not really."

"So you wouldn't want to see my pet?"  He clarified.

"Nope."

"So you wouldn't want a pet for yourself?"

"Not really," Cassandra grumbled as she grabbed the handle to open the door.

"Not even a horse?"

She stopped.  "A what?"  Turning towards the boy, she noticed a small smirk play across his face, making him look childish.

"That's what I thought," he said.

◇◇◇◇◇◇

Poor Cassandra.  Thinks looks have anything to do with anything.  Bless her heart.