Pre Wedding Banquette

The Pre Wedding Banquette was basically just a stuffy banquette.  After the food, the dances began, which definitely lightened up the mood.

"Well," Eugene began, "How are you doing right now?"

"Actually, I'm not as nervous as I thought I'd be.  Wait till the wedding, I'll be a wreck," Varian gave a nervous chuckle.

"Speaking of which, where's Dragon Lady?  Don't want to bump into her.  She's still pretty sore about her halberd."

"And she should be, idiot."  Varian took a drink of punch.

"Idiot.  That's a strong word.  I prefer the word-"

"Moron, knucklehead, jack-" Varian began to list off synonyms with his fingers.

"I'm just gonna cut you off there."  Eugene looked unamused as the younger smirked.

"Those all sound accurate," Cassandra said.  Eugene yelped as he turned around.  "Sorry, scare, Fritzherjerk?  How about that one?"  She crossed her arms.

"Oh, come on, your not still mad about the halberd?"

"And my dagger, my sword and my mace,"  Cassandra put her hands on her hips.

"Cass, it's a party," Rapunzel exclaimed.

"Right, Raps.  This is Fritzherjerk, prince of the Dark Kingdom,"  Cassandra introduced.

"I'm Rapunzel!"  She shook his hand.  "Nice to meet you, Fritzherjerk!"  Varian and Cassandra burst into laughter.  "Did I say something wrong?"  Rapunzel asked.

"It's Eugene Fritzherbert, actually."

"Oh.  I like Eugene Fritzherbert much better," Rapunzel admitted.

"Well, you and me both."

"Shouldn't you and Varian dance?"  Rapunzel inquired.

"Or..." Varian pushed Eugene closer to her.  "Eugene could be the prince charming that he is and dance with you since you're clearly itching for one, but didn't bring a date."

"Wat what?"  Eugene looked at Varian.

"Do you want to?"  Rapunzel asked.

Eugene looked at her, giving a nervous laugh.  "Sure."

"Great!"  Rapunzel grabbed his hand and dragged him out to the dancefloor.

Cassandra laugh, stepping next to her fiancé.  "Should we have done that?  Don't want to make this a Romeo and Juliet story."

"Are you kidding?  You were right!  Those two were literally crafted from heaven to be together!"

"Do... do you think they'll miss us for just a little bit."

Varian glance around.  "Don't think will.  They're all to occupied with the food, drinks, and dancing.  I wouldn't mind disappearing myself."

The two easily sneaked out onto the large balcony that wrapped around a lot of the castle.  "This is soooooo much better," Cassandra sighed, setting her arms on the banister.

Varian leaned his back and elbows on the rail himself.  "Well, nice to get a breather again."

There was a peaceful silence between them.  Varian looked as her as she stared at the horizon, the wind blowing in her hair.  He scooted closer, making her look at him.  He held his breath as he slowly leaned in.  She wasn't moving away, so he moved in to kiss her.  Again, she didn't stop him, but she wasn't moving to encourage it.  He wasn't certain if he should kiss her if she wasn't truly on board.  He continued anyways.

They were millimeters away from kissing when Varian glanced up.  Andrew was standing in the doorway.  "Cute."

Cassandra turned her head around before their lips even touched, crushing the moment.  "Andrew?  What the heck are you doing here?"

"What?  Your fiancé didn't tell you?"

"Andrew, I don't want a scene.  I told you that you not to..." Varian sighed.

"Wait, you knew he was here?  How long?"

"A few days.  If it had been anyone besides Edmund who hired him, I would have been able to get him out.  Instead, I had to put him to work, I'm sorry, Cassie..."

"All those times you told me to go a different route was actually to keep me from bumping into him, wasn't it."

"I knew how much he hurt you, I didn't want you to relive that..." Varian mumbled.

"But you lied?"

"Because I thought you'd rather not know.  I'm sorry, Cassie, but I really didn't have time to really think it all through.  I know you two would eventually bump into each other, I just...  are you mad?"

Cassandra sighed.  "Yes, but... not at you.  I need time alone."  She left the two men on their own.

Andrew shrugged and smirked at Varian.  "Yes, just the way to get into a woman's heart.  By lying and redirecting her.  Well, done."

"Shut up!" Varian hissed as he pushed him away as he walked through the door to go to his room.

◇◇◇◇◇◇

Ha!  You thought they were going to get to kiss this time, didn't you?!  You just got cupcaked!!!

Sorry, couldn't help myself.
XP