Chapter Forty-Three

"Doll." Vallea inhaled shakily at his deep and husky voice that floated through the speaker, body sagging finding some sort of comfort in his voice.

"Dabi..." She breathed, head bowing, creating a curtain of ivory hair around her face that was scrunched up in grief. "I um should have listened to you, I'm sorry." Her tone was light and airy but tinged with regret.

"What's happened?" He asked right away, knowing that something was already wrong, Vallea wasn't the one to apologize unless she truly thought the other person deserved it. And that worried him, it had only been a day, what had gone wrong or what had Endeavor done wrong that she realized her mistake so quickly?

"I can't tell you." She moaned, dragging her free hand across her face, wishing that she could just tell him so he could be her knight in shining armour and rescue. But that didn't come without risks, risks that she wasn't willing to take. She valued Dabi as a friend, an older brother, she knew he would walk to the ends of earth for her, knew he would happily commit a crime for her and that worried her. If she told Dabi what had happened, that she was being forced to marry someone he would most likely kill or maim someone, she wasn't naive enough to not notice his more violent and unsavory tendencies. She wasn't just going to let him go to jail because of her, she would sooner chop her own arm off and then see him shut out of her life.

"Yes, you can. I can fix whatever it is, but first you need to tell me." He coaxed like she was a child, tone for once soft, or softish.

"I can't. I'm literally legally not allowed to." Vallea shook her head and began peeling off her clothes, juggling the phone between her shoulder and hand, nearly dropping it a couple times whilst pulling off her sweater.

A rough growled echoed through the speaker, clearly Dabi was not pleased by her answer. "I don't give a damn if it's legal or not, you need to tell me, doll. You can't just leave me hanging like this, either you tell me or I find out by force."

It was now Vallea's turn to be pleased by the male. "I don't have enough goodwill or patience in me to deal with your threats right now. If I wanted someone to threaten me I would have just called Katsuki, not you buttwipe." She kicked her skirt off, wandering over to her costume suitcase and snapped it open, pulling the still singed and ash covered dress out.

Dabi scoffed, "If you don't want my help then why did you call me?"

"I didn't say I didn't want your help, I just told you legally speaking I can't tell you. Not mention I'm not dumb, I know your type of help would just come in the form of violence, most likely not even helping the situation but making it worse." She chided, slightly piqued at his snarky tone.

"Well what do you want me to do? Become a fucking mind reader." Peach eyes rolled, pink lips curling up in irritation at the male.

"Gosh dang it Dabi, I just want you to tell me there you'll be there for me no matter what, no matter what happens! I need to know that I at least have one stable person in my life who wouldn't leave or abandon me!" She yelled comically nearly naked in the guest bedroom of the number two hero's household. "I need to know you'll support me, I know you don't like heroes but..." She trailed off, wincing at the thought of how he may react when he finds out in two years time that she would be marrying the son of the number two hero, the hero who he hated the most. She couldn't lose him but she also couldn't get out of this marriage.

"But what, doll?" The flick of a lighter igniting sounded through the other side of the phone. "Why would I leave you? What happened with that hero that made you think I would do that?" He sounded suspicious, and a suspicious Dabi never meant good things.