A letter to home

Late that night, as the snow lay thick outside, Regulus, Lucy, Evelyn, and Uncle Joe huddled inside the warm house.

Regulus' and Lucy's tumble in the snow earlier had costed them, and though they'd changed into dry night shirts, they sneezed and wrapped their blankets tighter as they sat on the living room couch.

"You sure you have enough blankets?" said Regulus as Lucy sneezed into her tea.

"Ye're quite the hen once ye start carin'. Aye, I'm fine." Lucy smiled.

On the low coffee table sat the melted Hufflepuff cup.

It makes so much more sense now. Regulus sipped his own tea—still hot. Lucy's been locking away her feelings, so the cup chose her as the easiest target. It's been trying to win her over ever since we got it. That thing sucked out her energy so it could get strong enough to project Voldemort. But she was stronger than that thing thought. And she won! I haven't any right to be, but I'm proud of her.

Evelyn eyed Uncle Joe as she took a chair opposite them, tea in hand. "There's not supposed to be anyone else in here."

"It's okay. He's family," Lucy said. "He's me uncle—me dad's brother." She looked at Uncle Joe and seemed a little hurt. "But... if Mum's alive, why didn't she come for me?"

"She had ta go underground, or they'd hunt her down," Joe said. "She's a half-blood who married a half-breed, Princess. It had ta be that way. Believe me, we had ta hold her back from goin' on foot ta Hogwarts and gettin' ye. It took a lot a convincin' ta make her stay hidden. And ye'd be safest at Hogwarts. It was ta keep ye safe, believe me."

Lucy nodded. "They told me even comin' near the farm would be bad. They said no one was here. I'm so sorry..."

"But ye're here now." Uncle Joe smiled.

Lucy forced an answering smile. "Where is she?"

"Hidin'," said Uncle Joe. "Pack up, and we can be with her in a couple a days. She'll be overjoyed ta see ye!"

Regulus stiffened. He didn't just say what I think he said.

Even Evelyn looked at Joe with a raised brow.

Lucy's jaw fell open. "I—I'm sorry... Believe me... I want ta see her too, but I can't leave. I can't just go into hidin'."

Relief filled Regulus.

"But ye must, Princess," Uncle Joe said. "Little lady, ye have ta."

"No." Lucy shook her head.

"Now ye're bein' stubborn, Little Princess. I'm sure if ye think about it, ye must come. Ye belong here, with us, yer family. And, in either case, it's me responsibility ta make sure ye're all right. Ye're comin'."

"Don't ye see, Uncle?" Lucy said. "I've handled meself for over a year—been on me own. Now I'm seventeen. I'm sorry, Uncle, but ye cannae tell me what ta do. Not anymore... I have ta make my own choices."

Uncle Joe looked stunned, then his eyes softened. "Aye... I can see that. Ye're a woman now. I guess I just hoped... Ye're sure ye won't come? There's no shame in not."

Lucy seemed at peace with her decision. "I can't. I've still got somethin' left ta do. Wouldn't leave me best friend while he still needs me."

Regulus shook his head. "Lucy, if you want to go see your mother, I understand. I wouldn't want ta keep you cooped up here. You don't need to stay for my sake."

"I'm not." Lucy laid her hand atop Regulus'. "I'm stayin' because I know what's right. I'd love ta turn me back on this war and pretend it's over, but that wouldn't be true, and I wouldn't be able ta stand the days hidin', tryin' ta pretend—not while I have a responsibility. I need ta be here."