Meetings and reunions

Quiet sadness came over Regulus as they stood before Mr. and Mrs. Weasley's fireplace. He didn't want to leave, but he knew they had to. "It's been nice, ma'am, sir." He bowed his head to both adults.

"So polite," Mrs. Weasley said. "Good luck and remember to eat well. Here." She handed Regulus a bag. "You look like you need it. They're for you and Evelyn. Make sure she eats plenty."

Regulus opened the bag. Mrs. Weasley's chocolate chip cookies filled it to the brim. "Thank you!" He tucked it into his backpack—along with his clean clothes. "I'm sure Evelyn won't complain." He cleared his throat and turned to Mr. Weasley. "Sir, before I go, I was wondering..."

"Yes?" said Mr. Weasley.

"I didn't take Muggle Studies at Hogwarts, so I don't have the O.W.L.S. for it, but lately... muggle relationships greatly interest me. You have some authority in that department at the Ministry, right?"

"Not because it's hard to get a good position," Mr. Weasley said. "Wizards avoid being associated with us. It's one of the lowest departments in the Ministry. So, yes, I'm practically second-in-command."

"Even though I don't have Muggle Studies, is there a chance I could try working in that department? I know a Black has never worked at the Ministry, only advised, but I'm marked as a blood traitor, anyway. My friend may have been onto something. We're here, and we have all these skills. I think our real purpose is to protect muggles and magical creatures—not push them away. Don't you think? And we need to learn more about them to do that. Right? I just want to try. I want to learn."

Mr. Weasley looked aghast. "Having you be part of our department? Have you any idea what that would mean?"

"I see how it could be... troublesome," Regulus muttered.

"It would be wonderful! A real Black—someone with actual power. And you have a point. Whatever you want, you'll have it. Just contact me the moment you're out of Hogwarts!" Mr. Weasley said. "All I can offer at first is an intern spot, but our department always needs an extra pair of hands."

"Really? Thank you, sir! I'll let you know."

"Whatever questions you have, please, don't hesitate to ask. Send an owl whenever you like." Mr. Weasley chattered on in warm enthusiasm.

"Yes, yes, that's enough. Off you go." Severus pushed Regulus away from Mr. Weasley. "Remember the address Andromeda gave you?"

Regulus nodded.

"Then off with you." Severus gave him a final shove.

As Regulus stumbled forward, he grabbed a handful of floo powder from the mantle and threw it on the fire—which turned a familiar green. With one last glance at the warm family standing in the living room, he said to the flames, "Rosenfield Cottage, east countryside, Wales."

The flames blinded him as he whirled into them. Dozens of fireplaces flashed past before he landed firmly on the ground at his destination. He stepped out of the fireplace and brushed himself off just before Evelyn popped out behind him, followed by Severus.

People packed into every inch of the house. Old and young, middle-aged, children—lots of children—sat in corners, on chairs, on the floor. They could barely squeeze between people.

Many faced Regulus in anticipation, only to fill with disappointment when they realized he wasn't the lost family member they were waiting for. The same happened with Evelyn and Severus.

"All these people are missing a child?" Regulus said. "And the kids are missing their parents?"

Severus nodded solemnly. "These are the ones who still have a chance of being reunited."