Chapter Forty

It had been a few weeks since Colbie had last seen Happy, so she decided that she was going to take the trip to Bakersfield to surprise him

It had been a few weeks since Colbie had last seen Happy, so she decided that she was going to take the trip to Bakersfield to surprise him. Colbie had been texting Happy back and forth almost all day, so she knew that he was planning on going to one of the bars that were in Bakersfield so that he was able to unwind a little bit.

Asking Juice if he would be able to stay at her house and watch Grumpy, Colbie was thankful when the male agreed. She wouldn't have to worry about taking the dog with her, nor having to hear Happy complain about her doing something so big out of the blue.

It took a few hours to drive to the town and only a few minutes to find the bar once she had gotten there. Parking her car, Colbie spotted Happy's bike almost instantly. With a smile on her face, the woman collected a few things and stashed them in her pockets and made her way into the bar.

Spotting a female trying to hit on Happy, Colbie stayed back just to see how things would play out. It didn't take very long to see Happy reject the unknown woman's advances, which Colbie was more than thankful for. Unfortunately, the woman kept at it, so Colbie knew that she was going to have to step in and take charge.

Walking up the the bar, Colbie ran her finger around the mouth of the beer bottle that the woman was drinking and sat down on the stool next to her. "I don't think that he's interested," Colbie spoke.

"Get lost," the woman spoke in a hushed tone. "I call dibs."

Colbie laughed, "Little girls call dibs. A real woman takes what's hers."

"Fine, then I'm taking him," the stranger spoke.

"Hey, Hap," Colbie spoke, maintaining eye contact with the woman.

"Yes, baby girl?" Happy answered.

"This tart thinks that she's taking you home tonight," Colbie laughed.

"Was planning on going home alone, but then you showed up," Happy spoke.

"Bye," Colbie said to the woman when she realized that she wasn't getting anywhere with the bald headed male to her left.

"Someone's feisty tonight," Happy spoke, moving to the stool next to Colbie. "I like it," he whispered in her ear before biting her neck gently.

"Well, it's been awhile," Colbie laughed. "How about you finish your beer and we get out of here?"

"Or, you can stay and hang out with me and some of the guys from Tacoma that came down to do an M.S. benefit ride when they get here in a little while," Happy suggested, sipping from the glass bottle.

"I think we can hang out for a little while then," Colbie smiled. "Anyway that we can play a round?" she questioned, pointing over to one of the pool tables.

"Think you can beat me?" Happy questioned.

"I think we can hustle a few of your friends because I'm a lot better than you think that I am," Colbie laughed. "I lived in the clubhouse for years, so don't think that I've never played before."

"So devious," Happy grinned.

"Pretty and smart," Colbie replied. "You clearly hit the jackpot."

"Cocky too," Happy laughed.

xx

"Come on, Kozy," Happy said. "Stop bitching and just play."

"You and your girl suckered all of us," Kozik said, visibly upset that he had been suckered into losing money because everyone claimed that Colbie had no idea what she was doing. As each member of the Tacoma charter had arrived at different times, they all had fell for the con, but didn't bother to say anything to the next guy that had arrived.

"It's for a good cause," Happy said in defense.

"Dude, we just donated and raised a ton of cash for M.S. research," Kozik spoke. He was always happy to donate to an organization that helped the progression of a seemingly incurable disease, but he wasn't thrilled about getting hustled out of more money.

"It's not for M.S.," Happy told him. "It's for the kid," Happy explained.

"What kid?" Kozik asked.

"Mine," Happy said, pointing towards Colbie's stomach.

"Oh, shit!" Kozik exclaimed, walking towards Colbie. Engulfing her into a hug, the blond male spoke again when he pulled away when he eventually let go of her. "Congrats, dude," he spoke in Happy's direction. "Good luck," Kozik spoke, this time to Colbie. "You're going to have a hell of a kid on your hands. This guy is one of my best friends, but he's a fucking handful."

"Language around the lady," Happy reprimanded.

"Sorry," Kozik laughed.

"Apology accepted," Colbie smiled. "Trust me, I already knew that he's a handful."

"Watch it," Happy said to Colbie with a grin.

"Seriously though, congrats guys," Kozik said. "Celebratory round?" he offered.

"Definitely," Happy spoke.

"I'll just take a Sprite, if you don't mind," Colbie asked.

"Sure thing," Kozik answered, walking towards the bar to order for everyone.

xx

"The guys seem really nice," Colbie spoke, getting into the bed that Happy called his own.

"They're good people," Happy replied.

"I can see why you're close with them," Colbie said. "Especially for them to come down here for a benefit run. There's definitely love there."

A few minutes later, when Happy finally laid down in bed, Colbie looked over at him and smiled.

"What did you do?" Happy questioned.

"Why does me smiling at you suddenly mean that I did something?" Colbie questioned.

"Because I know you," Happy spoke. "What did you do?"

"It's more like what I got," Colbie spoke.

"Explain," Happy replied.

"Well," Colbie began. "I could tell you or I could show you."

"Just tell me," Happy said, growing more impatient with the woman.

"I got a dog," Colbie answered. "I named him Grumpy."

"That's a stupid name for a dog," Happy replied.

"Well, your name is Happy and you're usually always grumpy. He's always happy, so I thought that I'd name him Grumpy. You guys will balance each other out," Colbie spoke. "Opposites attract, right?"

"I can't believe that you would get a dog," Happy said. "We're gonna have a kid soon."

"Exactly," Colbie spoke. "We're going to have a baby and all kids need a dog. Besides, he's like a year old already and he's housebroken. I can't wait for you to meet him."

"It's not a rat dog, is it?" Happy questioned. "It's a real dog, I hope."

"He's a golden retriever," Colbie answered.

"Not what I was hoping that you were going to say you got, but I'm glad that it's not a five pound yapper," Happy replied.

"Are you kidding me? Those are the most dangerous little fuckers on the planet. I would sooner befriend a rabid raccoon before I got an ankle biter," Colbie laughed.

"Don't even think about getting a raccoon next," Happy spoke sternly.

"Oh, no," Colbie laughed. "I do not want a trash panda."

"Trash panda?" Happy questioned, confused.

"Yes, a trash panda" Colbie spoke.

"You're so strange," Happy grinned, leaning over to kiss his girlfriend.