9

Yang shi entered her youngest daughter’s courtyard. Seeing the servants measured and orderly, she nodded in satisfaction.

Ever since her daughter turned eight, she lived in a courtyard alone. Most of the servants were managed by her daughter alone. She would occasionally come to inspect but did not interfere much.

“Mother?” Gu Ru Jiu had just finished bathing, and was sitting by the window with her servant girls drying her hair. When she saw Yang shi enter, she stood up to welcome her mother.

“So late, and you just bathed?” Yang shi took over the cotton cloth in Qiu Luo’s hand and continued to dry Gu Ru Jiu’s hair. “It is cold at night—careful not to get a headache.”

“I think it is too hot.” Gu Ru Jiu cheerfully sat and allowed Yang shi to lecture her and dry her hair.

“No matter how hot it is, it is night.” Yang shi changed for a softer cloth to avoid damaging the hair. “Tomorrow, your father will take you into the palace to see the empress dowager and the emperor. I cannot accompany you to face the Holy One, so I have to tell you some things.”

Bao Lu and the other personal servants retreated with soft footsteps to leave mother and daughter in the room.

“After this event, the emperor will take the chance to grasp the primary power in court. Originally, I was worried that your aunt and the emperor will be in conflict, but it appears I have over-thought. If Empress Dowager Zhou had wanted to be at odds with the emperor, then even if the notice could have been formally announced, the contents would not have been so beneficial to the emperor.
The notice stated that the forefathers had visited the dream of the emperor, saying that something major was happening in Jing, but did not specify it would be a movement of the earth. If the earth did not move, then having a “major event” happen around Jing would not be difficult, so the emperor would not be forced into dire straits.

If Empress Dowager Zhou had any intentions of taking power, she could have used this matter to turn the emperor into a puppet emperor. But Empress Dowager Zhou had not done this, but did all she could to elevate the emperor, wanting to raise him to become a true wise ruler.

“After the emperor takes power in court, there will be many people in court who want to fawn and gain his favor.” Yang shi caressed her daughter’s hair. After confirming it was dry, she put down the cloth. “The emperor’s birth mother is from the Sima Clan. The Sima Family was greatly impacted by the movement of the earth this time. Many of their antiques were destroyed, and even their precious books were damaged by the heavy rain on the second day.” When she said this, Yang shi‘s gaze held a complicated amusement. “After this matter, the Sima Family will bow their heads to the emperor. The third branch’s members are still preparing to enter court as officials. If they do not bow their heads to the emperor, how can they achieve an elevated position in the future?”

Gu Ru Jiu was puzzled. Wasn’t the reason the aristocratic families were so confident facing the imperial family because they controlled many things that the poor could not learn? Wasn’t the court filled with aristocratic family members that helped each other? Why did her mother’s description not sound as glorious as she had imagined?

“The present aristocratic families are not the ones of several centuries ago.” Yang shi sighed and did not explain this to her daughter. She said, “I am telling you this not to gossip about the Sima Family, but so that you understand the present situation, and are aware.”

Gu Ru Jiu blinked her big eyes at Yang shi.

Yang shi saw her daughter like this and laughed helplessly. “Never mind, you are young; you do not have to worry about such things.”