26

The next morning, after Gu Ru Jiu finished breakfast, she heard that her family had received a pile of invitations. There were ones from friends, not friends, and relatives from many generations ago who came with their family trees. This greatly broadened Gu Ru Jiu’s view.

However, all that had nothing to do with her. Yesterday night, she had packed up her luggage. Now she was waiting for the palace carriage to arrive so she could leave and not have a headache over these matters.

Had the empress dowager predicted such a situation, and called her into the palace in order to openly slack off?

Because she was going into the palace for a short visit, Gu Ru Jiu took along her four personal servant girls. All her other servants were left in the marquis residence.

Before leaving, Yang shi told Gu Ru Jiu, “The palace has a complicated composition of people. Remember that while the rules are dead, people are alive. Since you are entering the palace to keep the empress dowager company, then your conduct represents the empress dowager’s face, and the Gu Family’s face. If you encounter anything, know if you should advance or retreat.”

Gu Ru Jiu nodded. Her face, already turning from a bun to a goose egg shape, had a smile. “Mother, do not worry. I understand.”

“Yes.” Yang shi touched the hairpins in her hair. “Everyone says that you are innocent and, due to our doting, do not think of anything. But I know that, while you appear young, you are more clear-minded than anyone else.”

A mother knew their daughter. How could she not know what the personality of the child she had raised was like? Her younger daughter looked innocent and naive, but from childhood to now, when had she suffered a loss?

Anyone else at odds with her had been tormented to the point of helplessness, but were unable to say anything.

Smart people could injure others invisibly. Her daughter’s way of action was much smoother and clever than hers had been back before she came of age.

After sending her daughter off on the carriage, Yang shi turned to walk back to the study.

The court sessions of the Feng Dynasty were arranged into a small session every three days and a major session every five. Today, Gu Chang Ling did not have to go teach the emperor or go to court, so he had been reading and writing in the study since morning.

When Yang shi walked into the study, her voice carried a hint of anger. “Husband, previously when the Li Family came to propose, you said their family was chaotic and not a good choice. Now, Duke Yang’s family has intentions. Their family is a simple one, and also a scholarly family. The eldest Yang son is a rare handsome youth. Why do you still have objections?”

“Wife, do not be angry.” Gu Chang Ling put down his book, helped Yang shi to sit down on a chair before saying, “Jiu Jiu is only thirteen right now. The noble women in Jing will not think a marriage is late even if they are twenty. Why are you in such a hurry?”

“Do not speak to me of these things.” Yang shi abandoned her composure as an aristocratic family lady. She patted away the hand Gu Chang Ling had put on her arm. “You dare say you have no other thoughts at all?”

“Even if I have other thoughts, I will not joke with the life of my daughter.” Gu Chang Ling saw his wife was truly angry and said, “The situation in Jing is growing more complicated. The emperor and the empress dowager have long been discontent with the aristocratic families. I fear that when the emperor is governing on his own, Li Guang Ji’s position as the prime minister of the left will not be stable.”

“Even if the Sima and Li families are not good choices, Duke Yang’s family has a good reputation, and will not be second-guessed by the palace. Are they also not suitable?” When Yang shi said this, she frowned. “Do you want to send Jiu Jiu…”