41

Before the obituary of Prince Cheng reached the Gu Family, Yang shi was welcoming her in-law Mistress Hu. While the two women’s relationship had been so-so before their coming of age, the Hu and Gu families had always had a good relationship. After the two of them married, they had a bit of a friendship due to the interactions of their husbands’ families. Their daughters were also close. After Hu shi married into the Gu Family, Yang shi treated her like her own daughter. Mistress Hu, as the mother, had an increasingly better opinion of the Gu Family.

She had hesitated a long time about taking this trip for the imperial family. If the empress dowager had not summoned her several times into the palace, she really did not want to consent.

She knew how well the Gu Family raised their daughter. Her food and attire was the same as any son’s, and sometimes even more care was taken. Now, the imperial family wanted to have their daughter become the empress. This… No matter how good the emperor was, didn’t he need three palaces and six courtyards? The Gu Family loved their daughter so much. Would they be willing to have their child be slighted so?

But the imperial family had spoken. Even if the Gu Family was not willing, they had to consider it seriously. Mistress Hu felt increasingly that she had come this time to act as a villain, so she had sat in the Gu Family for more than an hour without speaking of why she had come.

“In-law, I came this time at someone’s request.” Seeing time slowly pass, Mistress Hu could only force herself to speak.

“You and I have been family friends—what can you not say?” Yang shi had seen long ago that Mistress Hu had a matter on her mind. She had just not asked when seeing the other not speak up.

“This…” Mistress Hu raised her teacup to drink and spoke hesitantly. “Jiu Jiu is coming of age next year?”

Yang shi was curious. Had the Duke of Yang’s family not yet given up and was having her in-law come say good words again? While puzzled, Yang shi smiled and said, “Yes, I’ve recently been keeping her home to learn how to manage the home.”

“Your daughter is clever and intelligent. She will definitely learn these common matters quickly. Do not be too strict.” Mistress Hu was half-joking but half-serious as she praised Gu Ru Jiu. Seeing Yang shi‘s smile grow, she said, “Pity that my nephew has no fate to marry your daughter; otherwise, we would be closer.”

“Jiu Jiu has been spoiled too much by me and her father; she is innocent and young at this time. So it is the Gu Family’s regret that we cannot marry with the young master of Duke Yang’s family.” Yang shi was somewhat sincere in saying this. She admired the young master of Duke Yang’s family. In the capital, Yang Chui Wen was definitely among the best candidates for son-in-law for families who had daughters of age.

“The two juniors just have no fate.” Mistress Hu was regretful that the Gu Family had not agreed to the marriage proposal from her paternal family, but not discontent with the Gu Family. One should carefully treat the marriage of children. Even her daughter, before marrying into the Gu Family, had refused several families. Also, she secretly rejoiced the Gu Family had not agreed to her proposal last time. Otherwise, her brother’s family would have offended the imperial family.

If her son, returning from duty, had not said to her that His Majesty had feelings towards Second Miss Gu, she would not have known the severity of the matter.

You from a ducal establishment stole the beloved of the emperor. Would you have a good future? It would have been fine if the imperial family was reasonable. They would be discomforted but the matter would pass. If they were unreasonable, wouldn’t they kill your entire family and then take the woman into the palace anyway? In the previous dynasty, there had been emperors who had stolen their sisters-in-law and daughters-in-law. While their dynasty had not had such an event, who could be certain something like this would not occur?