23

While the capital’s Yang Family had the same surname as Gu Ru Jiu’s mother Yang shi, they were not from the same root family and did not have much of a connection.

This Yang Family had made its fortune in the previous dynasty. While they were not as prestigious as the Sima and Li families, they were noble enough. Their family had produced three prime ministers, two empresses and numerous governors. In the last few decades, they had become low-key, but based on the Yang Family’s foundations and their reputation among the scholars, no one dared to insult them.

The ancestors of the Gu Family had not had much interaction with the Yang Family. The two families had only grown closer in the last few years because Duke Yang admired Gu Chang Ling’s calligraphy.

It was not necessarily true that Mistress Yang greatly liked Gu Ru Jiu, but her friendliness towards the Gu Family was very clear. Once Gu Ru Jiu appeared in the inner courtyard of the Yang Family with her mother, Mistress Yang could not stop praising Gu Ru Jiu like she was a rare flower.

“This young girl is rough and not worthy of Duchess’ praise.” Yang shi was not surprised or overjoyed by Mistress Yang’s friendliness. She calmly praised the girls of the Yang Family and the atmosphere was harmonious.

Gu Ru Jiu, sitting next to Yang shi as decoration, noticed Yang Family’s miss on the other side staring at her. So she looked up and smiled at the other. Miss Yang also smiled back. Her smile was like the green lotus blooming at dawn, beautiful and pure.

Noticing the movements between the two juniors, Mistress Yang smiled and said, “The time is good. How about everyone walk around the garden with me, and we will pretend to have culture.”

The people seated all laughed and agreed. Someone clapped and said, “I heard long ago that the garden scene of the ducal establishment is stunning. If your honored establishment can only be considered as pretending to have culture, then my garden will be extremely vulgar.”

The words caused the women present to laugh. Gu Ru Jiu looked curiously at the woman who had spoken. The other was dressed brightly and of a young age. She did not know what family this young person was from that they would laugh out loud and speak up on such an occasion.

When no one was paying attention, Yang shi whispered softly by her ear, “Did you see that woman who just spoke?”

Gu Ru Jiu nodded.

“She is a daughter of Prime Minister Zhang and married Sun Family’s eldest son a few days ago.” When Yang shi mentioned Prime Minister Zhang, one of the newer aristocrats in court, her tone was slightly cool. “While Prime Minister Zhang is a capable person, his daughter is a bit too frivolous.”

Gu Ru Jiu was dumbfounded. So Sun Family’s eldest son had married a daughter from new aristocracy? She couldn’t help but glance at that Zhang shi who had married into the Sun Family. Because the other was dressed overly brightly, she was exceptionally eye-catching among the group of women. It was obvious that while she wanted to perform well among the group, she was out of place.

She had heard that Prime Minister Zhang’s wife was shrewish, and because she did not have a good birth, she did not like to interact with the women in the capital. As a result, her daughters had never entered the circles of aristocratic misses.

“Go play with the juniors.” Yang shi smiled at a nearby spot where several aristocratic family misses not of age were standing. “There is nothing interesting if you stay by me.”

“Then I will not disturb Mother.” Gu Ru Jiu smiled and bowed slightly to Yang shi before picking up her skirt and walking towards the young misses.