44

Mistress Hu coming to propose on behalf of the imperial house gave the Gu Family a lot of face. While the Gu Family’s opinion had been asked in secret, no one outside knew that the imperial house and the Gu Family were about to tie a marriage. Later, due to the death of Prince Cheng, the actual proposal was delayed until now.

“Today, I have come with imperial commands. In-law, you have to give me face.” Mistress Hu had daughters and sons, came from a noble aristocratic family, and her husband’s family was also an old aristocratic family of several centuries. So having her come to be the matchmaker for the first ceremony of six in the marriage rites was something the imperial house had thought deeply about.

According to tradition, she first praised the emperor and Second Miss Gu. Then she formally proposed marriage for the imperial family, and the officials of the Ministry of Rites presented the marriage gifts that Empress Dowager Zhou had prepared.

These gifts were extremely valuable. Even the Gu Family, used to seeing precious things, had to admit that the imperial house had put effort in. In just this first rite, they had prepared such a generous gift. When it came to the betrothal gifts, how much would they give then?”

“What virtues or capabilities does my daughter have to receive such attention from the imperial family? This subject is extremely terrified.” Gu Chang Ling first humbled himself, and acted like the bride’s family should. After Mistress Hu and the officials of the Ministry of Rites proposed three times, he finally nodded slowly.

During the proposal, the bride’s side should be reserved. Otherwise, if the bride’s side agreed immediately when the groom’s side proposed, what kind of preciousness was there?

After Gu Chang Ling finally nodded, Mistress Hu’s heart finally landed back in its spot. She had feared the Gu Family would suddenly change their minds, and refuse in front of the officials from the Ministry of Rites. Then it would be a bad matter.

“Then I will first congratulate In-laws for getting an ideal son-in-law.” Mistress Hu was extremely skilled and said many good things before leaving with the officials.

After she left, Yang shi looked at the gift list in her hand and had a servant girl invite Gu Ru Jiu out of the inner courtyard.

Gu Ru Jiu looked at the pile of things in the room, bowed to Yang shi and Gu Ru Jiu before saying speechless, “Is this the proposal or the betrothal gifts that they sent so much?”

“The imperial house is willing to give us such face—this is good to you for the future.” The matter was settled and Yang shi was no longer conflicted. She handed the list to Gu Ru Jiu and said, “Starting today, you need to read more of the genealogies for people related to the imperial family. The imperial family has decreased in number over the last few generations, but the connections are complex. You are going into the palace as the empress. Even if His Majesty protects you, you will still be exposed to such things.”

Also, while His Majesty was filled with emotion towards her daughter now, who knew the future? Something like status, rather than hoping to steady it using the favour of men, it was better to rely on one’s own tactics.

Gu Ru Jiu nodded and took the gift list that Yang shi handed her. There was a long string of names. She did not want to read it after getting through half of the names. But in order to know these things, she persisted in reading the long list.

“Today, we agreed to the proposal from the imperial family. Soon, they will formally prepare gifts and confirm compatibility. In this period of time, do not leave the home.” Yang shi raised her chin towards the doorway. “A few years ago, the Sima and Li families used a lot of tactics for the empress position. Now, the seat has landed on your head. I don’t know how many people outside want to watch the spectacle. If you go out now, they will give you a headache.”