27

“Noble ladies, please sit.” The palace attendant presented tea and pastries, bowed to the two and retreated to the side.

In the past, when Gu Ru Jiu entered the palace, she would directly meet the empress dowager. This time, maybe due to the presence of Mistress Li, she was guided into a side hall by the palace attendant to wait for the empress dowager to appear.

The side hall of Kangquan Palace was large and bright, its decor refined. It could be seen that this was a place that the empress dowager frequently used to receive female guests.

Just as Gu Ru Jiu raised her teacup, Wu shi spoke. “It has been a long time since we met. Has Miss Gu been well?”

Wu shi had once intended to propose marriage to the Gu Family on behalf of her son. But after asking someone to test the waters and discovering that the Gu Family did not have such intentions, she never mentioned the matter again. Fortunately, the news had not spread, so things were not too awkward between the two families.

That young child from back then now revealed a hint of beauty. However, her features still carried innocence. It could be seen that the Gu Family had protected her well. If her daughter was still alive…

Wu shi‘s eyes dimmed slightly. She used the movement of drinking tea to disguise her emotions.

“Thank you, Mistress Li, for thinking of me; everything is well.” Gu Ru Jiu smiled politely at Wu shi, and responded politely. She had no intentions of being close to Wu shi.

Wu shi‘s gaze landed on the hibiscus jade pendant that Gu Ru Jiu used to keep her skirts down. She blew lightly on her tea.

While the Gu Clan was only at the bottom of second-tier aristocratic families, they were much richer than scholarly families with good reputations like the Ducal Yang Family. Otherwise, a jade pendant used to keep one’s skirts down would not be so extraordinary.

Thinking of the empress dowager’s affections for Second Miss Gu and of the Holy One’s closeness to the Gu Family, Wu shi was even more certain of a speculation she had.

If the speculation came true, then it would not waste her efforts for their coincidental meeting today.

Wu shi put down the tea cup and said in a soft voice, “Last time when I saw you, you were just a girl. In the blink of an eye, you have grown up.”

The last time Gu Ru Jiu met Wu shi, it had been at the suburban race track. That day had been the day of Miss Li’s accident. She feared that while she had paid attention to Wu shi, Wu shi had had no interest in seeing other people.

“This junior has not seen you for a long time.” Gu Ru Jiu appeared innocent and harmless. “Have you been well?”

“I have been all right.” Wu shi smiled, a smile that was standard and flawless.

In reality, how well could a mother be who had lost her child?

Speaking fairly, Wu shi was not an especially beautiful woman, but she had an unspeakable dignity. Her features were also gentle and she appeared to be a person easy to get along with. But all of this was just appearance. Someone who could become the matriarch of a major aristocratic family could not be as gentle as she appeared.

Gu Ru Jiu had no interest in that kind of life. She did not want to live like a zombie and become an exemplar that people revered.

The two really had nothing to say. After a few courtesies, the room became quiet. But maybe because Wu shi‘s presence was too calm, Gu Ru Jiu did not feel any awkwardness.

After about half an hour, Empress Dowager Zhou appeared with her group of attendants. The two greeted the empress dowager before Empress Dowager Zhou had the two sit.