15

Li Huai Gu stood in the courtyard, the spirit that a youth should have completely gone after this accident. He looked at the tightly closed room door and said tiredly, “Mother is still not willing to meet Father?”

Ever since his younger sister had died in an accident, the feelings between Mother and Father seemed to have turned cold overnight. Mother wasn’t even willing to let Father through the door. The entire inner courtyard felt so cold in atmosphere he almost couldn’t breathe.

“Young Master, Madam does not feel well.” The one who answered was one of Li Wu shi‘s servants that came in her dowry. While her tone was gentle and respectful, this did not conceal that Li Wu shi did not want to see anyone.

“I understand.” Li Huai Gu was slightly disappointed but also inexplicably relaxed. Deep inside, he did not dare to meet his mother’s grieving gaze. After bowing respectfully at the door, he raised his voice and said, “Mother, please rest well. This son will visit you tomorrow.”

Li Wu shi sat in the dim room and sighed softly when she heard her son’s voice outside.

The woman in the copper mirror had her hair down. While her skin was still white, it wasn’t as soft and tight as during her youth.

She had wasted half of her life in the inner courtyard, and in the end, didn’t even manage to take good care of her children.

“Sense of propriety, justice, integrity, and honour. The glory of the aristocratic families.” She snorted and brushed everything on her dressing table to the ground. She had a mad expression between tears and laughter. “They are just hypocrites concealing evil deeds, male bandits and female whores!”

“Mistress!” The worried voice of a young servant girl from outside the door. But out of fear for her authority, she did not dare to enter.

“I am fine.” Li Wu shi suddenly calmed down. She bent down and picked up a rhino comb that had fallen and broken in two. She used one half to lightly brush through her hair and then pinned her hair back up.

How could she let the Sima Family gain what they wanted so easily? The thing her daughter could not obtain, the Sima Family shouldn’t even dream of obtaining it.

Anyone’s daughter in the world could be the empress, only not a daughter of the Sima and Li families!

##

In the next few days, a fine drizzle continued to fall over Jing. Gu Ru Jiu stayed at home for many days, drinking all kinds of calming and nourishing soups. She felt that when she walked, she could hear the “splash” in her belly.

Fortunately, the empress dowager had summoned her today and she did not have to drink two more bowls of nourishing soup.

The carriage made its way with familiarity through the street that the Residence of the Marquis of Ningping was on, and then entered the palace through the Vermillion Bird Gates to stop outside Kangquan Palace’s gates.

When Gu Ru Jiu deboarded the carriage, she saw Matron Liu waiting for her and said with a smile, “Matron Liu, have you been well recently?”

“Thank you, County Mistress, for asking. This old servant is well.” Matron Liu was the empress dowager’s most valued servant, but she did not posture in front of Gu Ru Jiu and bowed slightly to her.

Reaching out to help Matron Liu stand, Gu Ru Jiu said with a smile, “Aunt had Matron Liu come to welcome me. It seems she has really missed me.”

“County Mistress is correct. The empress dowager has been talking about you each day in front of this servant.” Matron Liu’s smile grew more intimate. “She has already asked a few times today, and this servant feels that she is waiting anxiously.”