𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏, 𝐓𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐝𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐂𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐟𝐮𝐥𝐥𝐲

Violetpaw ducked low to the ground, creeping silently, yet surely. She soared gracefully into the air, and landed square on the vole's back. She lifted her tail in triumph and padded over to Needletail, her head high. The slim grey she-cat nodded to her. "Nice catch!" She mewed through the frog she was holding. Violetpaw dropped the vole. "I'm heading back first. Darktail was meowing about how he wanted to see me later today, and which cat knows when that is." She told her friend. Needletail's whiskers twitched. "Off you go, then." 

Violetpaw snatched up the vole and stalked through the undergrowth, whipping past the brambles that tugged at her fur. When she pushed through what used to be the thorn barrier, she saw the old ShadowClan camp. What had happened? All of Darktail's treachery seemed like a blur in her mind now. You are one of the kin! She reminded herself. 

She padded over to what used to be the nursery and rested in a patch of sunshine next to it. Rolling around until she was in a comfortable position, Violetpaw dug into the juicy vole. She relished the sweet flesh that slid easily between her jaws. Closing her eyes, she chewed, purring softly. After she finished eating, she padded over to the rotting pile. The kin had a prey pile, but many just fought for the best picks, so why would she use it anyways? Rowanstar would never let food rot like this. She thought solemnly. 

Just the other day, she had met up with Alderheart and her beloved sister, Twigpaw. Alderheart was Twigpaw's good friend- he had helped Needletail find her and Twigpaw when they were only mewling kits. Tossing her vole onto the pile, she started grooming herself. While she was, she noticed Sleekwhisker sitting cautiously close to Darktail. Violetpaw pricked her ears and tried as hard as possible to listen to what they were saying.

"Go away, Sleekwhisker. Do something useful. Go hunting." The black and white tom growled. Sleekwhisker didn't look bothered. "Why?" She pressed. "Violetpaw, Needletail, Rain and Nettle just went hunting. Why can't I spend the day with you?" Darktail just snorted and pawed a lizard from the prey pile. He bit into it's spine, and when Sleekwhisker moved ever so close, until their pelts touched, he shot her a warning glance. 

Violetpaw immediately looked away, feeling ashamed. She shouldn't have overheard! That wasn't loyal behavior...yet she was planning against the kin, fighting for the clans. Standing up, she padded over to the dens. Which den should I sleep in tonight?  She wondered. Before she could choose, she felt a thick tail prod against her hind leg. Turning around, she saw a tan she-cat with bared teeth and her green eyes blazed with fury. Speak of the devil, it was Sleekwhisker!

"Hi?" Violetpaw meowed quizzically. The sand colored she-cat just glared at her. Rolling her golden eyes, Violetpaw mewed, "What do you want, I'm kind of busy, at the moment." For a second, Sleekwhisker looked thoughtful, then she went back to her usual sassy attitude. "Stop interfering with my life, Violetpaw!" She snapped. "Everything I claimed, belongs to me!" 

The black and white she-cat couldn't understand. "Sorry..?" She stammered. "But I'm not sure what I did wrong." The yellow she-cat kinked her tail high over her back. "You'll understand soon." She hissed. With that, she stalked off. 

I wonder what I did wrong. Violetpaw thought. Did she see me eavesdropping in her conversation with Darktail? Mouse-dung! 

Before Violetpaw could rush to say sorry, a deep voice behind her rumbled. "Why hello, Violetpaw. I was expecting you." 

Darktail.