Settling In

K woke up slowly - groggy and aching everywhere. She heard beeping near where she was laying. She was flat on her back, her hands at her sides. She didn't feel any restraints, but she still didn't move a muscle, or open an eye. She tried to keep her breathing even and slow. She could still feel the collar around her neck. She flexed her hands and legs to test and see if she was restrained. She was shocked to find that in fact, she was not. That in and of itself was stunning, and also in its own right, terrifying.

She cracked an eye open as easy and slow as she could and was not surprised in the least with what she found. A lab. Fantastic. Her luck didn't ever seem to go to the positive. She didn't know who had her. Or where she was. Or what this group wanted. Or who would be bad enough to put her in a bed unrestrained. Or - were the girls there too? That was enough to prompt her to get past her wariness. She had to know if they were alright.

She threw back the fear of what was sure to come and she opened her eyes fully and looked around. She was virtually alone. The girls were not anywhere near, and though she had hoped to see them, she didn't expect them to be anywhere near her. Just meant she'd have to hunt them down when she broke out.

Far to her left, and a fair distance away, was a very furry blue man in a lab coat, and a tall redheaded woman. What did the Department promise that blue fella to have him experimenting on his own? She thought. As if she'd shouted it, the pair looked up at her suddenly - shock was written all over the woman's face.

"Hello," the blue creature started as he began to slowly walk toward her. "You can call me Hank. Welcome. You seem to be in good health, in spite of the fact that you've apparently been wandering the forest for a while. We are trying to get that collar off of you, but to be honest, it's not one we've seen before, and we're erring on the side of caution for now. Aside from the black eye and bruised shoulder, how do you feel?" He spoke in a rush and as he finished, he pulled a small flashlight from his lab coat and began to shine it in her eyes, nodding to himself at his findings. K stared at him for a moment, confused.

"What are you going to do to me?" K asked slowly and quietly, but with a bit of an edge to her voice.

"To you? Oh, no, my dear. We aren't like that. We want to help you. This is a safe haven for the genetically gifted. We provide shelter and sustenance, medical intervention, if that's what you need. We can help you to hone your abilities if you like, and as I stated earlier – remove the inhibitor collar that is currently on your neck," Hank said, trying to come across as friendly and ending with a very kind smile. His tone was warm and welcoming, and he didn't seem to be lying, but then again ... for the time being she had no way of knowing.

"I don't need to hone anything," K said, setting both of them back for a moment as she paused. "Where are the two teenagers I was travelling with?" Her tone was stern, almost commanding. If these people were legit like 'Hank' had said, he'd have no trouble telling her about them. She wasn't holding her breath.

"They are, I believe, in a mathematics class at the moment. They had not been hampered with an inhibitor as you were, so they are in full control of their abilities. They seem quite settled in," he told her matter of fact-ly. She looked surprised at the news. Math. She wasn't expecting that at all.

"Settled in," she said thoughtfully to herself. For some reason, she really wanted to believe him. "You're ... you're telling me this is a school?" The two of them nodded as K took them in for a few minutes before asking very cautiously. "How long have I been out?"

"Three days," the red head stated, "We were concerned when you didn't wake up right away. You came in with a mid grade concussion, and your eye still looks really tender from that hit you took." She looked concerned as she reached to readjust the bandage that rested on K's temple. K flinched back from her, and she stopped. The redhead apologized quietly as she pulled her hand back.