Memories Revisited

Surrounded in blackness and cold, the little brunette woke up. She couldn't tell if it was night or day or how long she'd been in the concrete cell.

Bright light filled the room, and she covered her eyes with her hands, wincing in pain. Before she could gain her senses, hands were on her, holding her arms tightly to her torso as the men tried to drag her from the meager cell.

She struggled hard, fending them off somehow until one of them brought down his rifle butt on the back of her head, knocking her into blackness.

When she regained consciousness, she was strapped to a cold stainless steel table, unable to do more than wiggle. What she presumed were doctors were all around, covered head to toe in white, masks and goggles over their faces. One of them alerted the others to her awakening then crudely put a piece of duct tape over her mouth just before they simply began cutting into her, two or three at a time. She screamed until she passed out, only to awaken mid-procedure. The pain was so white hot, she couldn't focus on anything else, and as soon as one exploration was over and she had healed a little, they'd start another.

They gave her no recovery time other than what it took for her skin to seal itself. She was shaking uncontrollably by the time they'd decided it was time to stop. The same guards dragged her bloodied body back to her cell, before they unceremoniously dropped her in the center of the room and slammed the door shut behind them. She didn't move until the door opened again.

The time between memories was foggy – almost as if a haze had slipped into time.

The next time she remembered them coming for her, she tried to keep them from grabbing her. She fought furiously until one raised his rifle and shot her in the heart twice. She fell to the ground, horrified and gasping, one hand over her wounds as they rushed in and dragged her out again.

That time, she was fully conscious as they took her to the lab. She felt sick when the bullets pushed themselves out of her body and hit the concrete with a clunk. They strapped her onto the same table as before, and she began shaking, her body automatically responding to the anticipated mutilation that was bound to follow.

Instead of surgical explorations though, two lone white clad figures approached her and injected her with some odd looking liquid, then simply stepped back and watched her. She looked at them nervously when suddenly, the liquid began to burn like fire in her veins. Her head swam, her eyes unfocused and her heart began to race. Her throat swelled nearly shut and she began panting. She was convinced she was going to die when it simply began to ebb.

When the color at the injection site and her vitals returned to normal, they repeated the process with a different injection. She went through all forms of near deaths, and many that just made her ill for a while until they decided that they'd gone through all the injections they'd wanted to do, ending with testing how much of one particular drug they needed to give her to render her unconscious for a time.

Once that was determined, notes were taken, blood was drawn and she was returned to her cell, where she found a meager meal waiting for her.

After the day of being poisoned, she was understandably reluctant to touch it. She carefully sniffed at it, and decided that at least some of it was marginally safe, though if it was from good judgement or starvation, it would be hard to say. She wolfed down what she could and not long afterward, she simply began to drift off to sleep. It was hard on her body, all the healing with no rest. To add to the concerns, the longer she went without sleep, the harder it was to heal properly.

They repeated the process many times, never giving her a chance to become totally whole until they tossed her into a cell. Before long, she quickly realized that the cell at least, was a relatively safe spot.