Meetings

K padded silently behind Scott as he led her down a long hall with intricate hardwood panels, her heart was pounding and her eyes were darting around the hallway, peeking into any doors that were opened ... several classes were in session, and all of the children inside looked to be paying attention studiously. No one seemed to notice the physically mutated students. That at least put her slightly more at ease. As they reached a tall set of mahogany double doors, a soft voice rang out.

"Please, come in."

Scott smiled at her as he opened one of the doors and gestured for her to go in. He followed her closing the door behind them. Hank was there waiting, seated already, and he was sure to rise to shake K's hand, greeting her as if they'd been old friends.

"I'm glad to see you on your feet, K," the bald man behind the desk started out. "My name is Charles Xavier, and this is our school for gifted youngsters. You and your friends will be quite safe here, I assure you. One of our associates is currently on his way to determine out how best to remove that barbaric device around your neck. Please, have a seat, I've some questions for you." His tone was kind, and had a quality to it that made her relax, so she cautiously sat between Hank and Scott, who held her chair for her before she took a seat. He was trying to be kind, but being flanked by the two of them still didn't do wonders for her trust issues.

Perfect gentlemen, all of them, She thought to herself as she looked at each of them in turn. She felt more than a little out of place with such consideration directed to her after all she'd been through over the years, and all the misery she'd seen.

"Thank you," K whispered to Scott as she sat, back bone straight, knees together, and hands on her knees, like any lady would.

The professor's eyebrows went up as he watched her compose herself. He was clearly used to a younger crowd that hadn't been taught to act like a lady, and from what the two girls had told him already about their time with K in the woods, he simply hadn't expected her to be like this. He smiled kindly at her good manners.

"You aren't as young as you look, are you, K?" he asked gently.

Her mouth opened a bit as she considered her answer. "Is that a compliment or a question?" she asked, her eyes sparkling.

Scott and Henry both looked at her with raised eyebrows at her answer.

"Fair enough," Charles replied with a smile. "Please, take it as a complement. Could you tell me, please, what abilities you possess?"

Her eyes flitted to her hands as she tried not to fidget or squirm in her chair. "I ... ah ... I heal quickly- and I've been told I have exceptional senses," K answered slowly.

Scott did a double take at her and opened his mouth to speak before Hank quickly cut in. "Is that all?" Hank asked.

She eyed him suspiciously but didn't reply - Why would he expect more? What did he know?

Scott saw the apprehension she had and decided to try and diffuse the situation. "Can you tell us about your past, or even why that team was after you?" Scott asked, sounding much more businesslike.

K's eyes slowly drifted from Hank to Scott ... clearly she didn't like that he had suspicions. "I don't really like to talk about it. I've been running for a while now, and I tried to help those girls. Before that was a lot of ... um. Official? Intervention ... but that's not something ... no," K replied quietly. She thought perhaps they wouldn't ask more questions if she acted like it wasn't a horrifying experience.

There was a long pause before Charles cautiously looked up and spoke again, choosing his words very carefully. "Would you allow me look into your mind and try to deciper what those men wanted from you?" he asked, watching her body language carefully as she thought it over, shifting in her seat again.