Looking Ahead From Behind

K was painfully aware that the kids in her riding class were much more breakable than her, and she treated them like they were made of glass. At least until she knew they were competent riders. She threw in plenty of stories of how she'd been hurt, trying to instill a respect for the animal into them.

Because of this, every class had been very careful and the only injuries anyone had suffered were stepped-on feet and a few nips from greedy horses looking for more treats. K had come in after a class one day, right behind the kids, when Kitty stopped her.

"We need to talk," Kitty told her before she pulled her into a classroom that held nearly all of the women of the mansion. "We want to help with the wedding," Kitty said as she smiled at K.

But K just looked back at them all blankly. "Who's getting married?" she asked, searching their faces for an answer.

She was met by a sea of disbelief.

"You," Jean replied with an irritated tone.

"Oh," K said, taken back by what she interpreted as their show of force. "Well, I haven't really thought about it much yet," she said as she turned to leave only to find her way blocked.

"What are you talking about? Don't you have a date yet?" Jean asked. They were all looking at her like she was insane.

"No ... I figured we'd probably just go – do it one of these days," she said with a shrug. Clearly, she hadn't gotten the memo on what this marriage ... this wedding meant to the residents of Xaviers. She simply didn't understand why all the women were so worked up.

"So, you really think you're just going to go and elope?" Betsy asked. Her irritation was easy to see and K actually considered her for a few moments. Clearly, they were trying to tell her something, but damned if K was going to let that message be delivered easily.

"Well, yeah. Do you .... you don't think that he wants something else do you?" K asked with a horrified expression on her face as she looked toward Kitty and Storm.

Ororo was amused as Kitty let out an entirely frustrated sound and turned around hell bent on finding her way to find Logan. She was sure he'd straighten this out.

"You have to pick a date, Logan!" Kitty shouted into the garage after she'd come straight through the back wall.

"For what? You gonna give me choices?" he asked her as he buffed out the new paint on the Harley.

"No. That's the problem. You and K have been engaged for like, three months now and neither of you have any idea when you're going to do this. We are going crazy! You can't go get engaged then just let it hang there and not pick a date! You have every woman in the mansion dying to get working on this for you," Kitty reasoned. "You don't have to do anything, really. Just pick a date – we'll take care of everything for you," Kitty said.

He turned around to watch her as she ranted, a little surprised that she'd brought it to him. Didn't he have a woman to handle all this crap? It hit him what the trouble was as Kitty's pleading reached a fever pitch. "Wait. Every woman wants to rush this but K, right?" he asked, eyebrow cocked up. "Go tell her to pick, I'll go along with whatever the hell she wants to do," he said with a grumble as he turned back to polishing the bike, but that had Kitty fit to be tied.

"Why do you think I'm out here?! She has no clue!" Kitty shouted with her arms crossed – her irritation had boiled completely over.

Logan sighed and wiped his hands off on a rag before he stood up and walked inside with Kitty following him close behind like a kid that had just pulled Dad into the argument.