1.

Abir (Amir but with a B) and Giselle in the MM.

Giselle YoungBlood, 18
(3 years before)

"But mama, I can't just leave. I have a life here, family here.." I trailed off, watching as my mama and my daddy packed all of our stuff up into various different suitcases.

We were leaving our hometown and everybody in it after living here my entire life. All because of their stupid ass jobs.

"Listen, baby. I know it's hard but I don't want you living here with your grand mom and cousins so you'll have to come with us."

"But why?" I begged, knowing that that's what I really wanted. That's what I'd been hoping for since the move was brought to my attention.

"Mama, why? Why can't I stay with them?"

"I could stay here and work at mom mom's store."

"I really don't want to leave. Please." I begged, watching as she continued packing the suitcases as if my feelings meant nothing to her.

"Baby, what your mother said is final. There's no debate." My daddy spoke sternly while I stood there with tears in my eyes now, feeling completely hopeless.

I had just graduated, thinking I was going to spend the summer living it up with my friends and loved ones but here I was abruptly being snatched away from it all.

At 18 years old.

"Don't cry, honey." My mama looked up at me, seeing how hurt I was. I actually couldn't believe this was happening right now.

"Mama, I can't just leave Abir." I admitted, telling her exactly why I couldn't do this.

Not only would she be snatching me away from my friends and family but she was taking me away from the boy I'd loved for five going on six years.

I couldn't just walk away from him.

"Baby.." She trailed off, sighing deeply.

"I know you love Abir." She stood to her feet to stop packing for a moment and pulled me into her.

"But there will be other boys. Right now you have to do what's best for you and that's coming with your daddy and I to give you a better life."

"Better life for who? You?!" I became angry at her choice of words.

As if my feelings were robotic and I could just turn them off and on for any and everybody.

"My feelings just don't matter to y'all at all, huh?" I cried harder than before now.

"Speak to your mother with some respect, Giselle." My father spat and I shook my head, watching as they stood there looking at me like some dumb teenager.

This wasn't puppy love for me. I didn't spend 5 years building something, just to walk away from it for their dreams.

I couldn't do it.

"Mama, if I asked you to walk away from daddy to come with me somewhere, would you do it?" I asked her, testing her love as well.

"Excuse me?" She furrowed her eyebrows.

"If I asked you to walk away from daddy to go with me somewhere, would you do it?"

"And before you answer that, know that there are other men out there that you could be with. He isn't the only one." I spat smartly, just so she could understand how her words were coming off to me but when I did, she put her finger up, silencing me all together.