Chapter Thirty-Five

I WAS FUMING mad. Nakailang pagbuntung-hininga ang ginawa ko para lang 'di nila mahalata ang nararamdaman ko ngayon. My hands were clenching savagely as well because of the things that are running to my mind right now.

Hindi ko inaasahan that the events will turn out this way according to his plans.

"What a crowd," we heard Ronaldo utter under his breath. The atmosphere became so heavy because even Don Alfonso and my parents were shocked upon seeing him.

"Ano'ng ibig sabihin nito, Troy?" malalim na tanong ng tatay nito na bakas sa mukha ang pagkadisgusto sa eksistensya ng bagong dating.

Tahimik lang sina Mom and Dad sa aking tabi but the seriousness of their faces screams danger. Apart from what I feel right now, at the back of it, my mind is curious as to why. Pasimple akong may kinabit sa ilalim ng lamesa kung saan ako nakaupo.

Tanging si Troy lamang ang natutuwa sa nangyayari, his jolly attitude was so evident as if he's really happy seeing his bait entering his own restructured hell.

"What do you mean, Papa? I invited him here because it's rare for him to be back in the Philippines. And this man right here is not just a famous businessman. He's known across the globe. What's there not to invite him over?" Troy replied with an evil smile on his face. He even put his arm on Rolando. But the man's face showed cautiousness from what's about to happen. Troy looked at him and asked, "Nothing's wrong right, Rolando? I just took the opportunity of you being with us. Ang hirap kayang makakuha ng appointment sa'yo."

"So, it was you who asked me to be here." It was a statement as if Rolando was a hundred percent sure of it.

"Well, would you take my invitation if I'm not my sister?" Troy asked him that made the atmosphere heavier.

Troy tapped Rolando's shoulder then called a waiter to add an additional seat.

Since I don't have much data about Rolando, I couldn't tell what he will do next. If I'm in his position, I'd rather excuse myself from this narrative than to be part of any of this.

And I didn't expect that he would really stay...

Troy looked at me and I only gave him a passive look. I'm sure he knew what's coming so he negated his eyesight away from me and just walked back to his seat.

I tried my best to calm myself. Hindi ko alam kung nakahalata na sina Mom sa nangyayari sa'kin because they are looking at me as if they realized something. But no, I'd rather not look at them either because I knew what they were thinking was right.

"I'm really happy that you are here, Rolando. This means so much to us, you know. You were one of the panel judges of Joaquin's Asia venture project." Troy started his play and goddamn knew how the whole room was so awkward with its silence.

"Cut to the chase, Troy. What am I doing here? Clearly, I'm not welcomed." Rolando replied then grabbed the newly poured wine on his glass.

"You're not welcomed by whom? Oh, wait! Am I a bad entertainer?" Troy innocently asked then he looked at me as if I knew what to say next. "Am I that bad, 'My?"

I almost choked on my wine from what he asked. How dare he use that endearment in front of our parents! Pakiramdam ko umakyat lahat ng dugo sa mukha ko dahil tangina, he only confirmed my number one question to him.

I composed myself because my reaction was really so stupid. "N-No, 'Dy. W-We were just shocked at seeing him. You have to understand, okay?"

Fine, his way of including me with his stint implies that I have to do this because this is all I could do to make amends for me fooling him. But no, now that his main motive was evident, I don't think kailangan kong bumawi sa kanya.