Dutton's. 10 years ago

My parents and I recently moved here and we were next door neighbors to the biggest ranch owners. I picked out the western outfit I wanted before we head over to see a helicopter land down on the ground and an older man looking to be my dad's age step off. He placed his cowboy hat back on his head while I pushed my hair behind my ear, I so desperately wanted a hat like that but didn't get the chance to by one.

The man shook my parents hands tipping his hat to us "John Dutton" three other people came over to us. Two were boys and a girl with. The first guy has a dark black haired beard who is named Lee, the second is jamie who wears a suit. The girl is called beth. A car pulled up and a guy runs over saying. "Sorry got hung up with-" the guy trailed off looking me up and down with a awe look. He had a little bit of a stubble and he wears a dark brown hat, wearing a tan button up shirt with blue jeans and brown dusty boots. He holds out his hand for me and I shake it.

"Kayce, Kayce Dutton. And you?" I replied trying to not get lost in his eyes "Y/n, Y/n L/n." My parents went and hung out with my parents- leaving me the kids. Lee brings out three horses. He saddled up on his calling to me and kayce. "Hey y/n - Kayce let's ride!"

Kayce goes to his horse about to get on but he raises a brow to me, seeing that I'm trying to figure out how to get on. Kayce comes over placing his hat on my head explaining.

"Put your right foot in here and swing your left over.." I took his open hand, grabbing the saddle and do as he told. Once I'm on the saddle he gives me the rights, smiling up at me.

"Kick him in the stomach to go and pull the reigns to make him stop, oh and a - keep it for the ride." He points his index finger to his hat on my head sending me a wink making me blush lightly.

Kayce climbed on his horse with ease kicking his horse racing to the open fields, Lee in front of him. I kick my horse and it starts racing beside kayce's. The wind blows through my hair and I'm afraid I'll lose his hat at how fast we're going. Kayce called to me with a smirk. "You wanna race. Whoever wins gets to watch the other one put the horses up." I bit my lip, making my horse take off and I called back to him, laughing as he races past me. "Catch me, cowboy!"

The two of us race neck to neck and finally we reach the entrance of the stalls but Lee passes us both and the wind catches kayce's hat. Lee cackled grinning. "Looks like the two of you lost" kayce goes and trots his horse into the open fence, he gets off pulling my reign to lead mine in. I started to get off but my right foot gets stuck in the hook and I scream trying to grab the saddle but miss. Kayce's arm catches me bridal style and my hair falls everywhere. I death grip his jacket as the wind blows through his crazy hair his eyes pour into mine and I see him blushing like me.

"Woah y/n you alright?" His deep voice asked setting me on my feet resting his hand on my shoulder and one on my lower back. Picking up his hat from the ground I brushed the dirt off saying.

"Yeah kayc. I guess I need practice." Facing kayce I blush realizing what I just said causing me to quickly put his hat on my head and tip it down over my face to hide my blush. Yet shortly after I feel his hands tip the hat back up, he holds it steady lightly grinning back at me even though he has to look down because I'm shorter than him.

"Kayc - huh?" I stutter out barely making eye contact. "I - um.."

He takes his hat off my head to put it on his before wrapping an arm around me, smirking. "Don't be embarrassed y/n, I like it...you're the only one who calls me that alright." I smiled as we walked the horses back into the barn.

5 months had passed and I'd been spending every day that I was done with school was on the Dutton's ranch. The sun was barely over the horizon as I stepped out of the house walking around the ranch, I toss my one of kayce's hats in my hands before placing it on my head. I reached the fence watching him swing his lasso near his horse who races around the pen. I whistle out making the horse stop and kayce look to me. He tries his rope up coming over as I lean my chin on my arms resting on the fence, giving him a smile.