12

Judd

"Knock it," I tell my sister, her laugh ringing through the living room.

"I just think it's great that you have a girlfriend. You should bring her over so I can meet her," Hadley suggests and I immediately squash that.

"You will scare her off, you ass," I say, then I hear my dad yell at me.

"How many times do I have to tell you not to call your sister an ass?!" he says, and I roll my eyes.

"How does it feel to be my bitch?" Hadley whispers, my hand chucking a pillow at her. She's a princess in my dad's eyes; the devil in mine.

"Heard that. Hadley, no swearing until you're 30," my dad calls, my lips smirking at her. She crosses her arms over her chest and slumps in the couch.

"Judd's home!" I hear my mom yell as soon as she's in the house. She rushes over to me and kisses my head, my arms wrapping around her after I stand up.

"What brings you home?" she asks, and I yell at Hadley as she's ready to ruin my news.

"I asked Lexi to be my girlfriend, and she said yes," I smile, my mom cheering.

"Don't know why she said yes," Hadley teases, and mom points her finger at her.

"Stop it. Be happy your brother found a girl he likes," she tells her, wrapping her arm around me again.

We all go to the kitchen and I help make dinner, talking with my dad about football. He's always been tough on me, but I'm happy he was. Because of it, I'm now going to have the chance to play professionally. He's the person I've looked up to my entire life. Except I'll never understand how he chose to pursue medical school instead of football. He had NFL offers and didn't even think about playing. The thought baffles me.

It was news to my mom too when he told me. He apparently didn't tell her because he didn't think it was a big deal. I disagreed, and so did she. We quickly moved the subject because my dad went all loving on her and was all 'Liv, I get to work with you. What could be better?'.

The two are insane with how much the love each other.

"How is she in regard to football?" he asks, and I knew he'd question it. He's very good at asking if anything's a distraction, without directly saying it.

"She's actually really understanding about it. I hadn't met someone like her before, where she actually gets the fact that football is my life. She asks me when I have practice, makes sure I stay focused on game day, and doesn't get upset when I tell her I'm busy doing homework or lifting. I was skeptical at first, that she's just playing nice, but she's genuine," I explain, and he nods.

"I'm glad you found someone, but I just need you to be careful and safe. In more ways than one," he tells me, eluding to a subject I didn't want to talk about.

"Dude," I groan, and he starts to laugh.

"Hey, you're a guy. Just gotta say it as a dad," he says, and I just walk away. I'm not having another sex talk with him. Already got one of those when I was twelve; don't need one at twenty-two.

We have dinner and we talk about how school is going and other things. It's good to catch up with my family, especially since I haven't been able to since school started a couple months ago. Sure, I've seen my parents after games, but that's nothing like this. I get to see my sister, which as much of a pain in the ass she is, I still love being able to hang out with her.

At the end of the night, I give them all a hug and tell them I'll see them soon. I get in my truck and start driving back to school, my lower lip taken between my teeth.

My hand grabs my phone and I call Lexi, holding the phone to my ear.

"Judd?" she whispers, sounding as if she just woke up.

"Shit, I'm sorry. I didn't know you were sleeping," I sigh, her voice assuring me it's alright.

"How was your family? Are you driving home?" she asks, and I smile. Her voice alone makes me feel happy. I'm turning into a sap and I'm fine with it.

"They're good. I'm on my way back now. Just wanted to give you a call and say goodnight," I say quietly, not really wanting to be loud if she had just woken up.

"Aw, you're so sweet baby," she draws out her words, making me smile. She's so fucking cute.

"Get some rest and I'll talk to you tomorrow," I say and then I hear her wine.

"You wake me up to say two words to me. Boy, quit playing," she groans, making me laugh. Her laugh is heard on the other end of the phone and I make a left turn, continuing down the street.

"I wish I could kiss your dimple," she tells me, my lips unable to divert from anything but a smile.

"I wish I could hold you," I respond, and I can almost picture the blush forming on her cheeks.

"Judd, I will never be opposed to visitors," she tells me, my lip drawn between my teeth.

"Baby, you know I would, but we gotta sleep," I tell her, and I instantly feel awful. When I stay the night or when she comes to my place, we're usually up talking or kissing and I get barely any sleep.

"You're right. I should sleep too," she replies, making my mind at ease a little. At least she's understanding about it, but I still feel bad.

"Believe me, Lexi I want to," I tell her, not wanting her to think that I don't. I'd give anything to be able to spend as much time with her as I can without any sort of repercussions.

"I know, baby," she whispers, my teeth biting the inside of my cheek. I glance at the clock.

"I'll be there in 20 to kiss you. Deal?" I ask, and I can picture her smile.

"Okay. I can't wait. Drive safe," she tells me, and almost immediately hangs up the phone. It makes me laugh, my hand setting the phone down as I continue the drive.

My hands steer into the parking lot of her building and I park, walking up the stairs. I walk in and up to her door, knocking lightly so I don't wake up her other roommates. She opens it within seconds and I grab her waist, lifting her up.

Her legs wrap around my waist and she grabs my cheeks, setting her lips on mine.

"Thank you for kissing me goodnight," she whispers against my lips, making me smile. She smiles too and kisses me once more.

"Get some sleep. I'll take you out tomorrow," I whisper, setting her down. I lean down and kiss her once more before we say our goodbyes, my eyes watching her close the door once we do so. My hand runs through my hair and I can't help but feel elated that I finally found someone like her.