part four  Epiphany  

It is well known that no child in the Capital should be unattended, because if seen alone they might be mistaken for an orphan. In recent years the king has been a bit kinder to orphans; giving them a month to find a new family, or instead of death they would be cast out of the capital. But some managed to slip through the cracks.
-
Pink learned quickly that your appearance can make or break your schemes. She could never be too eager to go to bed, but she cannot be too unwilling. Pink had to hide her excitement; it wasn't too hard at first. At first it had been once a week she would go out to the lava sea to ride her striders. But then it involved buying things, and sneaking them into the castle soon that once a week was almost every night!

Every night was another small adventure, and with each adventure she learned a new thing, like that her appearance mattered outside of the castle as well. She couldn't look too poor, she couldn't look too rich. If she looked poor she might be mistaken for an orphan, and if she was too rich people would treat her... differently?

Pink wanted to remember what her father told her, something about someone falling from grace? She did more than ride striders by the lava sea. She thought about her father and his adventures. She yearned to be a part of his world now, like she was so many years ago. She wanted to see the stories he told her as a piglet. She wanted to see a castle made from ice! Or fields of potatoes, or the sky, or grass, that sounded nice!

The days went on every time Pink snuck out it was less exhilarating. It was just not cutting it. It wasn't an adventure anymore, it was a routine. Pink made her way to a blacksmith that she had been eyeing up with her small horde of golden nuggets. She bought a sharpness one golden sword.

It was pathetic compared to her fathers blade, but it was her own and that's what she wanted. But it wasn't what she needed. Before she thought the castle walls were restricting, but now she realized the whole nether  was restricting, almost suffocating. Pink thinks to herself about how many days, no, weeks to months perhaps that her father had been gone. A part of Pink was scared as her father walked in through the large doors, his crimson cape billowing behind him. Pink straightened her back almost like it could hide her disobedience...

but like every other time he came home Technoblade grabbed his daughter and held her close...

And Pink could feel the shame running down her back. But she could also feel a blanket of anger and sadness as she dug her face into her fathers shoulder. He smelled of grass and blood, only one of the two smells she really knew well.