CHAPTER 28 ☂︎ SHOOTING ANYONE

Older Five was bent down on a knee, putting together a gun from the suitcase he had opened. He was singing to himself as he stood up, tightening the barrel.

The teen Five was breathing heavily as he stood between Y/n and Luther. He whispered, fixing his vest, "Look. The briefcase."

"No, don't." Y/n and Luther both told him quietly.

Luther continued, "You won't be able to get there in time."

"Of course I will." Five shook his head, "This is our only chance."

"Hey, uh, just remind me... what was the final stage of paradox psychosis again?" Luther questioned, messing his gloved fingers.

"Homicidal rage." Five and Y/n spoke.

"Right." Luther elongated the word, smiling, before speaking in a monotonously way, "That's great."

"Five, listen to me. I..." Luther sputtered softly as teen Five started to creep closer to adult Five, "No. No."

Young Five spatial jumped to where his other self was just as adult Five spatial jumped in front of Luther and Y/n.

Old Five cocked the gun, pointing it at his younger—older actually—self, "Bad idea, shit-heel."

Y/n crossed her arms as Luther sighed, then stepped over to the Five in front of them, grabbing the gun out of his arms, "Stop it! All right?" He looked over at the teen Five as he walked over to the three, "The both of you. Pull it together. Now, Kennedy is gonna be coming around that corner any minute. Okay? So, everyone, let's just take a deep breath..." He took a deep inhale and slowly let it out, then watched the two Fives take shaky inhales and exhales.

"Now, we're all family here, well," Luther looked over at Y/n, then motioned to the two men and himself, "we're all family here, okay? So can we all just try and get along for a few more minutes?"

"You want it?" Teen Five asked his younger, but older-looking, self.

"Go ahead." As he said that, Y/n took a couple steps back.

"What's that?" Luther asked before young Five kicked him in his balls, "Shit."

"Now..." The older Five started as the other one adjusted his jacket.

"Where were we?"

The two Fives spatial jumped around Luther and Y/n, fighting with each other. The blue light continued to jump from place to place.

Both Fives spatial jumped on either side of Luther. "Would you please—" Luther started to ask before the two kicked him again. "Hey! I'm getting really sick of this!"

"I'm enjoying this." Y/n smiled, watching Luther slowly turn around to look at her.

"You are no help!"

She uncrossed her arms to shrugged them, then put them back crossed. The two Fives spatial jumped in front of Luther and Y/n, standing across from each other.

"You getting tired yet?" Old Five asked the other Five.

"I can do this all day." He moved his head around, rolling his shoulders back.

"Guys, this has to stop." Luther told the two, receiving a comment back.

"Eat shit, Ape Man." They turned back to look at each other. They both ran at each other, going to spatial jump. They looked like a bright blue magnet, repealing each other like they were both negatives. Luther and Y/n shielded their eyes. The two Fives both fell back onto the pavement.

Y/n could tell that Luther was about to grab the gun. She quickly grabbed the gun on the ground, holding it up pointing down in between the two assassins, "Alright, boys! You done yet?"

The Fives slowly started to move as she continued to talk, "Now I'm done seeing you guys act like children."

"Now, Y/n! Shoot him!" The older, but younger, Five shouted.

"No, Y/n! Shoot him!" The other Five stood up quickly, motioning to his other self.

"Shoot him!"

"No, Y/n, shoot him!"

"Y/n, shoot him!"

They continued to yell at her, pointing at each other. She sighed loudly, "Both of you, shut it now! I'm not shooting anyone!" She put the gun down, holding it at her side.

Both Fives had wide eyes as she did that. Luther then punched the adult Five, knocking him out. Y/n nodded, while the other Five let out a small laugh. She gave the gun to Luther, then crossed her arms as he adjusted the gun in his large arms.

"Now, open up the portal." Y/n and Luther told Five simultaneously, expect Luther was a lot louder and sounded more urgent.

"Right." Five turned around, looking around as Luther grabbed the two briefcases by the fences. Five started to conduct energy, opening the portal. Y/n could see the Hargreeves and herself just fourteen days ago in the portal. Y/n looked down to see the other Five starting to wake back up. He started to go for the briefcase next to Luther, who wasn't paying attention to anything but the portal.

Y/n shocked the older Five a bit, "Nope, you don't need that."

"Into the vortex you go, asshole." Teen Five shouted over the crackling noise of the portal.

"Fine. Fine!" He started to stand up, "But give me the math. So I don't end up looking like Tiger Beat over here."

"You stand next to the vortex and I'll tell ya." Five motioned with his head, still holding his hands up for the portal. The older Five hobbled over to the portal standing a couple feet away. "Closer!"

"This is close enough!" He gave a side glance at the portal, then back at the three in front of him, "Now give it to me!"

Teen Five looked back at Luther and Y/n, who nodded. Five looked back at his older looking—younger—self, "It was a typo."

"Typo?"

"We put the decimal in the wrong spot in our proof of existence of a bound for the number of limit cycles of planar polynomial vector fields of fixed degree. We wrote down five-point-seven. It should be..." Five paused for a second, then both Fives spoke, "zero-point-five-seven."

"Son of a bitch." The adult Five exclaimed, "I knew that it didn't look right. All right..." He looked at the portal and the three, "I guess this is it."

"This is it." The teen Five adjusted his jacket, "Go."

At that moment, a fire extinguisher came through the portal, hitting Luther in the head. He fell to the ground while Y/n smiled, shaking her head, "Thank you, Klaus."

Both Fives looked at each other, then at the briefcase. "No!" Y/n and the older Five were fighting over the case now. The teen Five joined in, trying to get the case.

"Five, it's shrinking!" Luther pointed at the portal, then held his head. Y/n quickly kicked the adult Five into the portal, knowing that the briefcase would fall with him. The portal disappeared and half the briefcase fell by her feet, burned and charred.

"We did it!" Luther said happily, standing up holding his head still.

"The briefcase, you idiot." Five said softly as he walked away, groaning. He looked back at the fence, going towards the fence. "Guys! Guys! Here he comes." He told them as he grabbed the briefcase that held the gun. He put the briefcase down by his feet, stepping on it to see over the fence. Luther and Y/n were standing on opposite sides of him.

"Look," Luther pointed at the only person holding an umbrella on the sunny day, "there's Dad. What do we do?"

"Uh-oh. Agh. Oh, shit." Five was muttering, looking into the distance. Y/n looked where he was looking, both of them speaking, "Diego." Y/n's was a question. Diego was running across the knoll, towards his father. He ran across the street that the president was on and tackled his father. Diego looked confused at his father, then the shots were fired.

"Probably not him." Y/n thought to herself, pursing her lips.

Y/n heard Diego shout as he stood up, "No!" The three watched as everyone was screaming and running away from the knoll. Y/n watched as Diego turned around to look at the man on the ground. He grabbed the man's jacket, telling or asking him something. The man held up a paper and Diego opened it, his face turning solemn.