Prologue

The sound of the wind softly blowing through the trees was the only calming thing that night. The tall looming trees castes long shadows down onto the marshy ground below them covered in ferns and deadly plants that wouldn't hesitate to snatch a dragon out of the sky before they could even process what even happened. One of the three moons shone brightly in the night sky, lighting everything in white and shades of silver in its light.

The jungle seemed to just be a giant looming shadow over everything that lived within it.

Hiding within the shadows of a lush fern were two dragons as green as the leaf's they hid along side, looking out onto the plains before them of tall, dry grass that seemed to wave softly to them because of the breeze, as though trying to invite them to say hi.

Not a chance, thought one of the two dragons with a snarl. This dragon was well built with strong shoulders and wings that looked just life the leaf's around him.

"Briar," whispered the smaller dragon huddled down beside him. The other dragon was smaller, skinnier and was young, no older than five, maybe six if he were pushing it. "Do you really think they're going to find us?"

"No," the older LeafWing said with a twitch of his wings. He let one of them drape itself over the smaller LeafWing's body. "They'll never find us unless we let them."

"Queen Sap said they could come into the jungle." The dragonet whispered with a nervous flick of his tail.

"And why does she say that?" The LeafWing, Briar, asked, his dark green eyes narrowing.

"She says that something's going wrong in the hives, that they're falling apart and they might need to search for more land. She didn't specify."

Briar let out a hum as he thought. What does Sap know that she's not telling us? Wouldn't it be best for everyone to know what's going on with the hives? Especially during a time like this as more scouts have been sent into our jungle.

"Don't worry Thorn, everything will be fine," he reassured the smaller dragon. "I'll make sure of it."

"What are you two doing out here at this time of night?" Hissed a voice from behind. The two LeafWing's whipped around to see a familiar face. A female LeafWing with bright yellow eyes that seemed to glow as brightly as the sun.

"Just watching the plains." Briar responded flatly as he turned his head to took back out at the tall grass plains that stretched out for miles before him, all once lush forests that had been burned down all because of the LeafWing's not choosing to side with the HiveWing's decades ago. It almost just seemed to be an awful memory of the past meant to be forgotten, but it wouldn't let you forget it.

"And waiting for HiveWing's to find you at the jungle boarder?"

"We'd be able to get away before they even spotted us." Briar grunted with an annoyed dismissive flick of his tail.

"Well....." Briar looked over at Thorn who was still huddled by his side under his wing.

"Oh come on!"

"Seems like Thorn is more reasonable than you are."

"He didn't even say anything!"

That only put a grin on the other LeafWing's face.

"Anyways, let's all get back home. It's getting late anyways," she went to turn around before she stopped to look over at Briar. "And I'm fairly sure you have the early morning patrol."

"Says who?"

"Says me."

"Come on Briar, let's go." Thorn made his way out from under the older LeafWing's wing, going to follow after the female LeafWing.

Briar let out a grumble as he looked back out at the dry plains before him, the tall dry grass still waving gently at him, still looking as though they were trying to invite him.

I bet flying out here at night, I wouldn't be seen. If I was, they'd probably think of me as a lost SilkWing, He thought with a silent hum to himself and a light twitch of his leafy wings.

"Briar!" Whisper shouted someone from behind him, startling him out of his thoughts. He turned around to see the female LeafWing once more.

"Hold your tongue Daffodil! I'm coming!"

"Then start moving like your doing it!"

With a roll of his eyes, the LeafWing stood up and shook out his wings that now felt stiff from being still for so long. With a flick of his tail and a twitch of his ears, he turned to start making his way back home, following the slim trail Daffodil and Thorn were upon up ahead of him by a few wing lengths, though it was difficult to see them because of the large looming shadows of the lush foliage all around them. As the broad shouldered LeafWing caught up with the others, he could see Thorn trotting up ahead, looking at every plant along his way.

Daffodil waited for Briar and soon the two LeafWing's were walking side by side through the large looming shadows of the jungle, carefully watching their step. It was dangerous to be wandering here at night, since it's harder to see when danger has its eyes on you, but Briar didn't care. He could navigate the jungle with his eyes blindfolded if he needed too.

"So," Daffodil started once Thorn seemed to be out of ear shot. "Have you head about the meeting Queen Sap had with some of her advisors?"

"That the hives might need to expand or move?" He questioned as he raised a brow. "Yeah, heard it, don't like it."

"Guess that much," she shrugged as they kept walking through the jungle. "But...do you really think the HiveWing's will start to try and take over the jungle? Even when they know it's dangerous?"

"We live here and it's dangerous."

"Yeah, be we're LeafWing's, we can live here but they're HiveWing's, surely they can't."

"Eh," he shrugged his broad shoulders. "They can try all they want but they won't be able too. I won't let them."

"I know you won't." Daffodil gave him an eye roll with a small smile on her face. "Now, let's quicken our pace before Thorn beats us back."

Briar watched as Daffodil quickened her walk into a trot as she quickened her pace to catch up to Thorn, leaving Briar behind to wander with his thoughts.

I won't let them take the jungle from us, he thought with determination as his eyes narrowed. It's all we have left.

It's all I have left.

———————————————————
The first part for Beyond The Sea!

I love writing Prologues, they're just so much fun in my opinion. The beginning of a story and they always leave an impression that can stay with you throughout the book.

Anyways!

As I'm writing this note at the end of the Prologue, the cover for BTS isn't complete, though it is in the process of being complete.

That's all I really have to say for this part, so I'll see you all in the first chapter of BTS.

- MindlessTyper