Chapter 2

Robin could hardly keep still as she sat at the table that was in the middle of their kitchen. She was waiting for her pop-pop to arrive.

It was the next day and she was excited.

I haven't seen him in what feels like forever! Her tail twitched along side her wings. When ever he came to visit, he'd always take her with her flying skills and he'd teach her neat tricks she could do in the sky. Tricks he said that "only SkyWing's know how to do."

Which made it feel even cooler!

"Someone seems excited." Funnel spoke up as she walked into the kitchen with a basket hooked on her wing, the basket looking full of something but there was a cloth covering it, hiding it away from sight.

"I'm just excited to see pop-pop."

"In his letter he said he was just as excited to come see you."

"How come he's been busy lately?" The dragonet couldn't help but asked as she watched her mother move around the room, looking to silently be listening to a song in her head as she hummed.

"He's been trying to see if he'd be able to become a soldier again, despite his age." Funnel told her softly with a smile, though there looked to be little flickers of worry within her mother's gaze.

"For Auntie Scorpion and Uncle Meerkat?" She tilted her head as she watched her mother.

"Yes, but he's also trying to see if Queen Flicker would be willing to let him become a member of the royal guard once more."

"He was a member of the royal guard!?" She asked, her ears perking up as her golden eyes widened. She knew that her grandfather had been a soldier for the SkyWing's in his past, but she didn't know he was a member of the royal guard.

Robin saw her mother smile softly. "Yes, before I hatched, he had been a member of the royal guard and he was a member up until I was no older than you."

"Why'd be stop being a royal guard?"

"That's a story for another day I can tell you later." A new voice spoke, once that was warmly familiar in Robin's ears. Her head shot up as she quickly turned to see a familiar SkyWing standing in the door way.

"Pop-pop!"

The hybrid dragonet jumped from her chair and raced towards him before she collided into his legs, wrapping her forearms around him. She felt him stumble a little slightly as he let out a gruff chuckle.

"Hey there kiddo, great to see you're in top shape." He laughed.

Robin smiled as she felt him ruffle her spines atop her head between her horns.

"Well, I'll take this little one off your talons for a bit Funnel, I'll make sure to have her back before sundown."

"And no later, I remember last time you didn't bring her home until midnight."

"That's was one time."

Robin saw her mother raise a brow at her father, to which he chuckled. "Okay, okay, no latter than sundown."

"Bye mom!" She called as she followed pop-pop our of her hut, hearing her mother calling out to her in goodbye before they left. As they started to walk down the streets of the town, Robin made sure to keep pace with he grandfathers longer strides.

Pop-Pop was built similarly to Funnel. He had long legs with a long whip like tail, his horns were long but they weren't white like Robin's mothers horn, his were a dark grey-ish brown. His scales were a darker red-ish orange shade and they got darker closer to his tail. His talons also faded to the same dark red-ish colour, just like Robin's front talons. His eyes were just like Funnel's, a warm golden ember that seemed to glow like the sun. Pop-Pop also had Funnel's freckles, though his were darker and more red in colouration.