🥦Ch 18: Whom to trust?🥦

PREM

I hurried outside the pack house and entered the forest without a second thought.

Out of all the dumbest things I've ever done, this had to be the worst. But at this point I had nothing left to lose. No family. No pack. Nothing. Earth was all I had left as far as someone caring about me. I had to do everything in my power to help him, even if I ended up in the same position as him.

I stepped into the woods and the glow of the full moon vanished immediately. There was no trace of the heavens under the canopy of thick trees. I could hear the usual nocturnal noises. Peeping tree frogs, distant howling, the wind in the branches, owls hooting.

Suddenly the insects and animals had all ceased their peaceful ambient symphony.

The overpowering musky scent of an Alpha filled my nostrils and I paused. My heart pounding in my ears was the only sound I can hear. I should turn around; this is a bad idea. But somehow my feet propelled me forward. As I got closer, I could almost feel this Alpha's distress and smell the metal of his blood in the air. He must have been severely injured.

Alpha or not, he needed help.

I moved with a sense of urgency. Trying desperately to find whoever needed aid. Finally, I saw him and stopped dead in my tracks. He was in really bad shape and using the support of a tree to hold him up. Someone did a number on him. His right eye was swollen shut, he had a split on his upper lip, and a bruised cheekbone. It was clear he was in an immense amount of pain, while he was holding his left ribs.

I tried to rush to him.

"Don't come any closer," He wheezed.

"Did you really come alone or is Ohm's men on their way to finish the job?" He sounded angry and frightened.

Ohm's men did this to him?!

"No, I'm alone." I assured him, though against my better judgement, maybe I shouldn't be. "did you send me that note?" I demanded.

"I'm sorry, I had to make sure I could trust you." He said before sliding down the tree. He made a hard thud when his bottom hit the ground.

"I wasn't sure if you had been brainwashed by them yet."

Brainwashed? I walked slowly towards the Alpha and kneeled down at an arm's length from him.

"Who are you?"

"Kao," He exhaled, "I used to work for Ohm, but wanted out after I found out what he was doing to the Omegas."

My brain did pacing at the speed of lightning. What was this man talking about? I wasn't even sure whether to believe him or not, but he was so hurt and I saw the fear in his eyes.
This man couldn't be lying.

I had known first hand in this last week what if felt like to be not trusted, and especially , by people who matter to you. So I decided to hear him out.

"What are you talking about?"

"I was a headhunter for Ohm, my task was to find unmated Omegas, ones that hadn't gone in heat yet, so they could be sold on the black-market."