Chapter 1

Ocean

The soft ticking of the clock and the slow movement of its hands resounded like a church bell in my head. The thunder of its gentle movements caused an avalanche of unpleasant feelings in me that rolled down my dry and tight throat.

This was not helped by the involuntary shaking of my leg, elegantly crossed over my bare knee, which was revealed by a tight business skirt. The rattle of a horde of women's heals through the indefinite marble floor was interrupted by the sound of cell phones ringing and the brief sound of the elevator door opening. Even the air I breathed tore my chest like a sharp blade.

Nervousness.

What does it do to a man. To notice what is invisible to the eye and hear what is hidden in the wind.

But when some things are really important and our lives literally depend on them, nervousness is that feeling that keeps us in a state of high alertness. In a state of wakefulness. In life.

With the fingers of my left hand, I quickly straightened the strands of hair, which were already neatly and firmly behind my ear, and straightened the folds on my skirt. My gaze quickly flew over the face of the secretary who lowered the phone, nodding her head affirmatively, and shot us a look.

She pulled on her fake smile masked by a vivid red lipstick, when our eyes met.

"Ocean Bailey, you can come in now."

I reciprocated with an equally fake smile, which covered my tension and sleepless nights.

''Thank you.''

I walked past her and continued toward the massive wooden door, the walls claustrophobically narrowing around me.

This is the last chance for my redemption. To atone for the sins of others. A ticket to my freedom.I knocked three times and the echo burst through the hallway as a deep male voice rang out.

''Come in.''

I poked my head through the massive door, straightening my torso and took a deep breath. Now is not the time to show my weakness.

"Good morning, I would like to thank you for having responded to my call and granted my request to receive me in your office."

I said in a voice full of apparent confidence as my chest moved rhythmically and fast, almost revealing how important this really is to me. Vital.

He looked at me penetratingly, not taking his eyes off mine, as if reading my thoughts and studying every cell in my body.

"Sit down, Miss Bailey."

Gesturing with his hand on the leather brown chair in front of him. With my long legs I cut the space next to the chair, occupying it, and sat down a little stiffly, straightening my back and tossing my hair back.

Taking my Bio from the pile of papers piled up in front of him, he took off his glasses with a thick black frame and left it on the table. He took a deep breath and massaged his nose with the thumbs of his left hand as he left my Bio to mix with the mass of corporate documents.

"I must tell you, young Miss Bailey, that I am normally immune to begging, but your persistence and the way you have written to me in the hope of a job have somehow caught my attention."

A trapped breath that I wasn't even aware I had, left my throat the moment I heard his words. Is it called relief?

"I don't know what your motives are and what drives you so much that you want to work in our corporation with such enthusiasm, but I am ready to give you a chance, even though you have no experience in this field of business."