《Chapter 22》

I knew the route to school. I had always looked out of the window whenever I was driven to school. Though it felt different to be outside the house without grandma hovering around me,  I loved the freedom. I took my time assessing my surrounding. I  saw things I hadn't noticed before.

I got to school exhausted and late. Assembly was already over and students were in class.

"My friend! U  cum  late today? Wetin  happen?" The gateman asked me. He had begun calling me his friend ever since his leaving the gate locked issue.

I smiled wearily at him as I made my way to my class. I was stopped on the way by the principal who asked me why I was late. I told her that I had to trek to school since my driver didn't come.

"You've never been late before so I'll pardon you. " She let me go.

My class teacher was marking the class register when I walked in. She asked the same question and I told her the same thing I told the principal.  My eyes fell on Peter's empty chair and my heart sank. Peter was absent.  It was like the little energy in me was sapped away forcefully and I almost fell. I sat on my chair and held my face in my hand. Why was Peter not in school? Was he going through the same thing I was going through?  Was he getting punished?

My coming to school that day was in vain; I couldn't gain any knowledge. I watched the teachers come and go with their teaching and explanation going in and out of my ear. I couldn't even write any of the notes.  I was too weak to move a finger. All I could think about was Peter.  Was he alright? 

I slept throughout the break period. I had nothing to eat and no strength for anything,  so I slept.

The day was unbearably long. It was like time had decided to move very slowly. My headache increased.  My hunger increased.  I could feel the worms in my stomach biting inside of me. I felt sick;  like I was dying slowly. 

The closing bell rang and I jumped up at reflex.  I realized then that I had no driver so I sat back and packed my books slowly into my bag. This was strange to my classmates. They all turned to stare at me. I didn't owe them an explanation so I totally ignored them.

"Hey, puppy! No rat race today?" Amara asked and everyone laughed.

I ignored her and continued to pack my books.
"I'm  talking to you." She walked up to me.

I knew she was doing this because of Peter's absence.  She wouldn't have dared if Peter was around. I missed him terribly it hurt and the fact that I didn't know what happened to him that Saturday night heightened my pain. It hurt so much like a nail had been shoved into my heart.

I stood up and grabbed my bag but Amara held onto it. She had a goofy grin on her face and it made me sicker. I dragged my bag from her grip and turned to go but she held my arm and turned me back to face her. I felt steam ooze out of my head. I wasn't ready for this.  This was the last thing I needed. Couldn't this girl see she chose a very wrong time for this?  I looked at her hand on my arm and then back at her.

"Fight! Fight!  Fight!" My classmates had begun shouting. Some were even drumming with their fist on the desk.  The sound of the drum, their voices, and Amara's smile made me nauseous.
"Leave my arm," I said coldly.
"And if I__"

I didn't wait for her to conclude her statement before landing a hot slap on her cheek.  This was a shocker for no one had expected it, even me. I was always keeping to myself and had never been involved in a fight before. Everything was happening so fast.  My life was changing drastically. I didn't know who I was anymore. I couldn't recognise myself.  Could this be the true me? Was my former definition of myself what grandma had conformed me into and not who I really was?

Amara's hand flew to her cheek as she stared at me with shock. I could see the fear in her eyes but I didn't stop. I grabbed her left hand and twisted it; the way Timothy, my primary school classmate did to me whenever he wanted me to release what was in my hand. I twisted her arms like he did, only that I applied more force to mine. I transferred all anger I felt towards grandma to her. I knew I was overdoing this but I couldn't get myself to stop.  Amara was screaming and stomping her feet but I continued.  I wasn't thinking straight. 

The class captain who was a tall boy pushed me away from her. "You're hurting her. " He yelled at me.

I glared at him. My nose was flaring like an angry lioness.  I turned my gaze back to Amara whose nose was filled with rheum and face filled with tears.
"Stay away from me if you know what's good for you," I warned coldly; too coldly. Was that my voice?  I couldn't recognise my voice anymore.

People gave way for me as I walked out of the class.  I took the staircase downstairs as I headed for the gate. Students stood in various circles talking and laughing. It was like it was a break and not closing hour. No one was in a hurry to go home.

I left school and began to trek back home. I was numb to all the happenings going on around me. Sweat gathered all over my body and underneath my arms.  I could feel my uniform getting soaked.  It was so hard to move afoot but I tried. I had no choice. I had to go home.

"Beatrice!" I heard someone call me.